MBA Essay question

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

MBA Essay question

by mkuppalli » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 am
Is it appropriate to mention the names of people you have spoken to in your essays?

I have spoken to a few students and gotten to know them pretty well, but I was not sure if it was appropriate to use their names in my essay, or if i should just generically describe my experiences with them and why it influenced me to apply to the program?

Thanks in advance!!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:32 pm
Hello mkuppalli, thanks for your question.

I think it is quite appropriate to mention people you've spoken to, especially if you know them well - IF you have their permission to use their names. An admissions person speaking on the record would likely have no issue at all with you using their name. Students generally wouldn't mind, but I'd be safe and check with them first.

Moreover, I would be specific about connecting what you discussed with them to how the school can help your career. Broadly saying that a student said X school's culture was wonderful is lot less effective than talking about how a current student helped you understand how a class offering could really give you the marketing or financial derivative knowledge that would bring you closer to your career ambition.

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php