My MGMAT Experience

This topic has expert replies
2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

My MGMAT Experience

by SigGolfer » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:29 am
I would like to describe my experiences with the Manhattan GMAT class that I was able to take thanks to the Beat the GMAT Scholarship. Whether you are thinking about applying for the 2008 Scholarship or you are considering paying for one of Manhattan GMAT's course, I hope this helps you out.

I took one of the 9-week virtual sessions and my instructors were Stacey Koprince and Steve Shaheen. Rather than give you a tedious, day-by-day account of my class, I've included some of my general impressions below.

- The class demands a lot of time. Each session is three hours long and you must complete a two hour lab weekly. Additionally, you are supposed to take practice tests, which last two and a half hours. This is all in addition to the homework. If you don't have a lot of time to dedicate, then this class is probably not for you.

- Don't judge the class by the first session. My first class was overcrowded and somewhat chaotic because many people were taking advantage of the option to sit in on one class for free.

-The Manhattan GMAT class provides a great mix of strategy, theory, and practice problems. Each session had a mix of math and verbal topics and the session incorporated student participation, practice problems, and lectures.

-The Elluminate platform is really neat. Elluminate is an online 'classroom' that allows the instructors to interact with their students. This was the most engaging online class that I have ever taken.

-The Manhattan GMAT books are great. Before I got in the class, I studied the OG and several books from Kaplan. I prefer the MGMAT books because they provided more theory and actual knowledge than tips. I feel that my skills at math have improved, not just my ability to guess correctly.

-MGMAT Tech support is good. I had some connection problems and they were able to resolve them in a timely manner.

-The practice tests are very realistic. The screens even look like the real GMAT and I felt that the questions were comparable in difficulty to what I will see on the real GMAT.

Overall, it was a great experience. I really feel much better prepared for the test. The instructors, particularly Stacey Koprince, were both knowledgeable and approachable. Also, on a side note, I think that you can get access to the practice tests just by buying some of their guides. If, like me, you can't afford the virtual class, I would definitely recommend buying one of the guides. At the very least, you'll get access to some great practice tests. I hope this helped. If you have any questions at all, I would be glad to answer them.

Matt

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:53 pm
Thank you Matt for sharing your experience. We're happy to see you making the most of your scholarship!

Best of luck to you in your apps.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by beingAndNothing » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:18 pm
thanks eric and matt.

2007 Beat The GMAT Scholarship Winner!

by SigGolfer » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:39 am
By the way, in case you are wondering how I did on the GMAT, I got a 740. I credit a lot of my success to the Manahattan GMAT course. Here's a link to my posting regarding my test experience. It also lists my practice test results.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/viewtopic.php?t=4900

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sampleresume » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:30 pm
Thank you, Matt