Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Should I give gmat again?

by sk8ja » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:26 am
Please evaluate my profile

Indian Male 27 years
GMAT : 680 ( Q48 V 35)
GPA: 8/10 ( Indian Institute of Technology)
Work experience : 3+ (Automobile -Product development)
1) Excellent growth from entry to lead position in short span of time
2) Currently leading a team of 5 engineers
3) Received award from company
4) Acting as an interface between multicultural team
5) Instrumental in Business development

other
1) Table tennis player( Played at institute level)
2) Dramatics
3) Choosen at Undergraduate level for exchange programmes at
different foreign universities. Rated excellent for the work

I wanted to apply for ISB, INSEAD, HEC and top 15 colleges in US. Please suggest me whether I stand any chances for the
mentioned colleges. Which colleges should I apply in US? Post mba I want to enter in General management/consultancy
Do you suggest I give GMAT again to strengthen my chances?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:45 am
Hello sk8ja, thanks for your question.

Regardless of your GMAT, I think your competitiveness will ultimately come down to the quality of your leadership experience both in and out of work. To the degree that you draw upon "moments" when you truly led - influenced individuals and organizations, drove results, took initiative - you can be competitive.

That said, you come from an overrepresented demographic of business school applicants that score disproportionately high on the GMAT. I think if you could bump your overall to 700-710 and get that verbal score up to 80%, you'd help your chances. If you think you can achieve this improvement, then go for it. If you cannot do this, without taking valuable time away from essay writing, then you might hold off. Only you can make this call.

As I said above, coming from your demographic, it is quite difficult to score high enough where your GMAT would truly differentiate you. Either way, you will be looking to other factors of your candidacy to drive home your case.

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:45 am
Hello sk8ja, thanks for your question.

Regardless of your GMAT, I think your competitiveness will ultimately come down to the quality of your leadership experience both in and out of work. To the degree that you draw upon "moments" when you truly led - influenced individuals and organizations, drove results, took initiative - you can be competitive.

That said, you come from an overrepresented demographic of business school applicants that score disproportionately high on the GMAT. I think if you could bump your overall to 700-710 and get that verbal score up to 80%, you'd help your chances. If you think you can achieve this improvement, then go for it. If you cannot do this, without taking valuable time away from essay writing, then you might hold off. Only you can make this call.

As I said above, coming from your demographic, it is quite difficult to score high enough where your GMAT would truly differentiate you. Either way, you will be looking to other factors of your candidacy to drive home your case.

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:05 am
Dude your quant is too low for an IIT Grad. You should definitely shoot for 50,51 in Quant and get a 4+ point increase in Verbal. This would push your score beyond 720 which is what you should aim for. Having said that 680 combined with the rest of your profile, is good enough for ISB. For US top 10 schools, 720 is the median. For INSEAD, HEC your work experience is on the lower side. The average being 6 years. A year comes and goes, a Top school brand will remain with you for 30 years.