Profile Evaluation Request

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by nyusternfan163 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:35 am
Can you please comment on my background and if I have a legitimate chance to get into Langone? Also, can you recommend some full time schools that are safe pick for my profile, reaches, and unlikely?

GMAT (second time): 690 (Q: 51, V: 31, AWA, not out yet, but scored 6.0 on my first GMAT test).

Education: Graduated from Rutgers, overall GPA is 3.34 with 3 majors (Computer and Electrical Engineering, Math, and Econ) and 1 Minor (operation research where some classes are grad level and are taken with graduate/phd students). I Was on dean's list multiple semesters and received scholarship for a couple years.

Been working in NYC (the only job) at a financial software company that provides fixed income analytics for almost 4 years. I don't have too much afterschool activities in college. Iwas a tutor for a couple semesters, a class assistant for a calc class (grading homework, helping students etc), and helped a local food bank. I've also interned at Merrill Lynch as an summer analyst which allowed me to touch on all aspect on mortgage analyses (I was in Mortgage Trading Department). Have decent amount of knowledge on finance and analytics from work for pretty much all types of fixed income products and also self-learned a lot about stock trading (charts/financial reports).

At my current work, I am responsbile for answer clients questions, which include software usage, model validation, recommendation to address clients' needs, QA of the software (both bug tests and analytical tests), and software release cycle (communiate with our developers about client's needs.

My recommendations from my supervisor should be strong. Since English is not my first language, I'd say my essays will probably not be outstanding.

My short-term goal is to be back with my current company, but move from more of a techincal aspect to the business aspect. My loong term goal is to become a risk management consultant in Asia to help people understand the risk of investments, and to stay withth their tolerance.

I am asian and 27 now. please let me know if you need anything else from me.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:11 pm
Hello nyusternfan163, thanks for your question.

Your GPA is fine, and your overall GMAT score is quite solid for the Stern mean of 674. I am a bit concerned about your low verbal score, but can you find a way to mitigate that? The programs will want to know that language will not be an issue in your learning and that you will be able to communicate well with your classmates. Because you have been working in NY, I don't honestly think this is a concern, but you might write a few sentences in the optional essay section to address.

In terms of your work experience, I think it comes down to demonstrating the quality of your leadership experience. Can you speak to moments where you influenced individuals/organizations, drove results, took initiative. You don't necessarily have to have managed a team to have this type of experience.

What are your extracurricular activities since university?

I have better knowledge of full-time, rather than part-time, programs, but you might consult this link I found with part-time program rankings.
https://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... e-rankings

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php