what is an alternate tracnsript?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

what is an alternate tracnsript?

by deedee_deedee » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:28 am
is an alternate transcript one where you take undergraduate level classes at a local university in economics, accounting, finance, statistics etc?
or is it one where one takes graduate level classes at a local university in economics, accounting, finance, statistics?

also how many classes would I need to take? Do I HAVE to get A's in all of them? Would a B look bad?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:01 am
Hello deedee_deedee, thanks for your question.

I believe undergraduate level classes would be sufficient. For instance, if you would be taking graduate level math or economics, I am guessing it is not an area of weakness for you!

Typically, applicants pursue an alternative transcript to shore up an area of weakness. I'm curious to hear more about your situation.

With regard to grades, I think it could be relative. If you received a B-minus in economics as an undergraduate, you would likely shoot for an A now. However, if you received a D-plus in the past, a B-plus still represents significant improvement. Obviously, you want to shoot for the A regardless!

I'm happy to comment more with additional information.

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by deedee_deedee » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:58 am
Hi Brian,

Thanks a lot for your response.
A little bit of background:
Under Grad in engineering from a top 10 - GPA - 2.87 downward trend

Grad GPA in engineering from a local college - GPA - 3.7. But, I took 5.5 years to graduate since I took classes while working full-time. I took classes on and off.

GMAT - 730

My low undergrad GPA of 2.87 from a top 10 school was not because I did poorly in math or physics. My poor under grad GPA was due to poor grades in my junior and senior year in Computer Engineering classes with failing grades etc.

My Grad GPA is better at 3.7 from a local university and I took 5.5 years to graduate since I was working full-time and taking classes on and off. I feel the fact that I took 5.5 years to complete my Grad school may look badly on me and won't help offset a poor undergrad GPA.

I want to take extra courses - pre-MBA type (I prefer pre-MBA over undergrad classes) to offset my bad academic past. I would like to show that I am committed and responsible when it comes to taking classes and getting good grades.

I am aiming for Kelley & Emory.

Please let me know if pre-MBA graduate level classes are good for me to take.

Thanks a lot for your help.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:45 pm
Hello deedee_deedee, thanks for your follow up.

I'm curious, the classes that drove down your undergraduate GPA were related to computer engineering, but you performed well in almost every other class and went on to perform well (3.7) in graduate school for engineering.

Why exactly did you perform poorly in those classes? Perhaps you can show that you corrected the problem in graduate school in similar engineering classes? Otherwise, what exactly was the cause of the poor grades? I'm trying to identify this specifically to see what classes, if any, you could take to mitigate the poor grades.

Best,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php