Please evaluate my essay

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Please evaluate my essay

by hey_thr67 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:26 am
ESSAY QUESTION:
"Companies should be prohibited from monitoring e-mail correspondence of their employees, since this policy destroys the atmosphere of trust and undermines employee morale."

From your perspective, how accurate is the above statement? Support your position with reasons and/or examples from your own experience, observations, or reading.

YOUR RESPONSE:

The statement states that in order to maintain an atmosphere of trust and high morale, companies should be prohibited from monitoring e-mail correspondence of their employees.I feel company-employee relation is based on trust and freedom to work. Here, I would like to put forth my views in the support of above statement.

As correspondence through e-mails has become a norm in any industry, companies are bound to worry about the unethical exchanges in them. Managers may opt to scrutinize the emails among their subordinates in order to seek the status of work. But, if we think from an employee's perspective, emails getting scrutinized would be no different than getting monitored for every step in a process. Monitoring may give a good feedback, but it will lead to loss of confidence or temper to work in an employee. I, myself, work in a R&D industry where most of the exchanges are through emails. But if my managers start checking my mails, I will loose faith in him/her. Also, the activity may hamper the communication between my manager and me ,as I would assume that my manager must have seen the mail and so I don't need to communicate face to face with my manager.

Also, scrutinizing each and every e-mail among its employees would lead to waste of valuable time for a company. The company can, otherwise, employ software filters to check if any uncensored or unethical communication is happening among employee. Doing this, would actually balance out the concern of company with the want of employee to have freedom of work. Freedom of work can increase confidence in an employee. It can be a gesture of faith that a company relies on its employee's decisions. However, if a company chooses to monitor the email- exchanges, it is actually destroying its report in employee's mind, making him/her feel uncomfortable to work in office.

Employee's morale is a valuable currency for any company. Companies tries hard to keep their employees motivated to work. In this situation if a company chooses to break any conducive environment, it will lead to loose its important asset which is Employees.