Another 690 Debate: Should I retake?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Another 690 Debate: Should I retake?

by novagal » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:07 am
Like many, I'm a first time poster, but long time lurker on this forum! Having taken the GMAT today for the second time today, I am very conflicted on whether to retake again, given that I am a hair below my target goal of 700. I was hoping the GMAT would help compensate my lower undergrad GPA. Here are my stats:

1. First time: 660 Q 45 V 36
2. Second time: 690 Q 44 V 40
AWA 6

Undergrad: UVA
GPA: 3.2
Race/Gender: Female/Asian-American
Experience: 4+ years in management & IT consulting
Target: Columbia (first choice), Stern, Kellogg, Darden, Booth, Georgetown, Michigan

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:07 pm
If your target score is 700 and you have 690, there is no need for a retake. It wont help you to get 10 points extra.

You are from IT consulting. If you can build a story about why you need an MBA, that will be time better spent than a GMAT to score just a few points extra. GMAT has a reasonable error correction zone of +/-30. So if your level is 700, it is possible that you score slightly lower or higher than that. There is no guarantee a next attempt will give you 700. But if you think your performance levels are way above 700 and the 690 does not adequately represent your score, go ahead!
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members
GMAT Score:700

by prodizy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:02 pm
By getting a great GMAT score you can make a point to the admission committee that you can take the rigorous course load of a MBA program (especially when your GPA is on the lower side).

A great GMAT score is always an advantage. You are competing with pool of applications where GMAT scores are on the higher side(IT professionals). If you think you can improve the score and you have enough time to take GMAT again without effecting application process, go for it one last time. You should aim to hit at least 49 in Quant.

If you have an extra ordinary story to tell the admissions committee then don't bother with GMAT and focus on telling your story(work ex, how you are different from others, recos, essays...)

All the best.