Nice Assumption Question!!!

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

Nice Assumption Question!!!

by [email protected] » Mon May 30, 2011 7:43 pm
According to a new sociological theory, artists and musicians excel in their chosen field of endeavor only if they are naturally gifted or extremely diligent about practicing. In order to have time to be materially successful in one's professional life, the author of the theory claims, one must not undertake a creative pursuit unless one is naturally gifted at it. This injunction makes many assumptions, but does not presuppose that ___________________.

Which of the following best completes the passage?

A
Professionals who spend a great deal of time practicing their creative pursuit will not earn much money.

B
only people who are naturally creatively gifted can succeed both creatively and professionally.

C
a person cannot succeed professionally and succeed creatively at the same time.

D
time spent practicing a creative endeavor curtails one's ability to spend time pursuing professional success.

E
one should not pursue a creative field unless one intends to excel in it.

Can anyone please explain that why C is the answer as according to me all the 5 answer choices are correct....

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Mon May 30, 2011 7:48 pm
IMO C

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by deep.amangmat » Mon May 30, 2011 8:07 pm
This question tries to confuse you with nots etc...

B, D and E can be scratched out.. as it is clear that the argument assumes these things..

C is a valid choice and I understand why C is correct.

My question is.. what about A..

"Professionals who spend a great deal of time practicing their creative pursuit will not earn much money?"

I believe that for this to be omitted, the creative pursuits need to be "other than their professional pursuits".. This is because.. the argument states that people who pursue their creative pursuits professionally will be materially successful in their professional life (provided they are naturally gifted in it)

Can anyone explain my thinking on choice A..

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Tue May 31, 2011 1:37 am
My thoughts

Presuppose here means don't assume beforehand. The question is This injunction makes many assumptions, but does not presuppose that ___________________. The argument explains the two, creative and professional life but never assumes that you can not succeed in both. Hence answer C A person can in fact succeed in both when he is gifted according to the author.

Take the case of answer A, which is clearly mentioned in these lines
In order to have time to be materially successful in one's professional life, the author of the theory claims, one must not undertake a creative pursuit unless one is naturally gifted at it.
When the author claims that a person to be materially successful in professional life, he should be gifted to undertake creative pursuit. Does it not mean that the person needs only less time to practice and not more time like beginners or the people who are not gifted.
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri