Parental-leave regulations

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Parental-leave regulations

by sridevipavan » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:53 pm
A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off to care for their children will harm the economic competitiveness of our nation's businesses. Companies must be free to set their own employment policies without mandated parental-leave regulations.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion of the argument above?
(A) A parental-leave law will serve to strengthen the family as a social institution in this country.
(B) Many businesses in this country already offer employees some form of parental leave.
(C) Some of the countries with the most economically competitive businesses have strong parental-leave regulations.
(D) Only companies with one hundred or more employees would be subject to the proposed parental-leave law.
(E) In most polls, a majority of citizens say they favor passage of a parental-leave law.

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Sun May 01, 2011 11:17 pm
OA C?

If some countries are able to have strong economies even with the regulations, that refutes the claim of the author.
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

by Calvin123 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:46 am
sridevipavan wrote:A law requiring companies to offer employees unpaid time off to care for their children will harm the economic competitiveness of our nation's businesses. Companies must be free to set their own employment policies without mandated parental-leave regulations.
Which of the following, if true, would most seriously weaken the conclusion of the argument above?
(A) A parental-leave law will serve to strengthen the family as a social institution in this country.
(B) Many businesses in this country already offer employees some form of parental leave.
(C) Some of the countries with the most economically competitive businesses have strong parental-leave regulations.
(D) Only companies with one hundred or more employees would be subject to the proposed parental-leave law.
(E) In most polls, a majority of citizens say they favor passage of a parental-leave law.
IMO ans should be B.
Explanation:

As many compnies (say more than 50%) already providing some kind of parental leave, and this is not hamppering economical competitiveness of the country so mandating or making a policy to mandate the leave should not hampper much.

C. is kind of weak statement as it is saying some of the countries have such policies but they are still economically competetive. These countries may have some other policies which are not here in the authors country which is making these country economically viable, so we can not compare success of such policy in one country with another.

What is the OA?

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by GMATMadeEasy » Mon May 02, 2011 3:57 am
B is not strong enough either in that way because many does not necessarily mean more than 5à percent. It could be very equaivalent to some .. Most could be considered as a weakener.

C has ingredients of weaknesses by using 'most economically competetive '.

I wait OA though.

by sridevipavan » Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 pm
I saw this question in 1000CR...
I am not sure of the OA though...

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:09 am
sridevipavan wrote:I saw this question in 1000CR...
I am not sure of the OA though...
OA is B
I Seek Explanations Not Answers