MGMAT CAT1 question

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

MGMAT CAT1 question

by kris610 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:50 pm
Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers. Each guest who was neither a student nor a vegetarian ate exactly one hamburger. No hamburger was eaten by any guest who was a student, a vegetarian, or both. If half of the guests were vegetarians, how many guests attended the party?
(1) The vegetarians attended the party at a rate of 2 students to every 3 non-students, half the rate for non-vegetarians.

(2) 30% of the guests were vegetarian non-students.

If in the overlapping set matrix, we represent the students with 'S', non-students with 'NS' and non-vegetarians with 'NV',
don't the 2nd and 3rd statements in the question indicate that the intersection of S&NV equal 0?
Or should I assume that the students who are non-vegetarians (S&NV) had some other non-vegetarian burger option?A
Last edited by kris610 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:59 pm
IMO C

What is OA?
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:12 am
kris610 wrote:Guests at a recent party ate a total of fifteen hamburgers. Each guest who was neither a student nor a vegetarian ate exactly one hamburger. No hamburger was eaten by any guest who was a student, a vegetarian, or both. If half of the guests were vegetarians, how many guests attended the party?
(1) The vegetarians attended the party at a rate of 2 students to every 3 non-students, half the rate for non-vegetarians.

(2) 30% of the guests were vegetarian non-students.

If in the overlapping set matrix, we represent the students with 'S', non-students with 'NS' and non-vegetarians with 'NV',
don't the 2nd and 3rd statements in the question indicate that the intersection of S&NV equal 0?
Or should I assume that the students who are non-vegetarians (S&NV) had some other non-vegetarian burger option?A
Whenever we have groups (in this case, vegetarians and non-vegetarians) that are being divided into smaller groups (in this case, students and non-students), we can use a group grid to organize the data.

Here's what the grid looks like (V = vegetarians, NV = non-vegetarians, S = students, NS = non-students):

In the grid above, every row has to add up to the total, as does every column. Looking at the top row, student vegetarians + student non-vegetarians = total students. Looking at the left-most column, student vegetarians + non-student vegetarians = total vegetarians.

Now let's fill in the data step by step.

Let T = total.
Since half the guests are vegetarians, V = (1/2)T, NV = (1/2)T.
Since the 15 hamburgers were eaten by the non-student NVs, 15 goes in the center box:

The only fixed value in the problem is the 15 hamburgers. All of these hamburgers were eaten by the non-student NVs. Thus, to determine the value of T, we're looking for information about the non-student NVs.

Statement 1: The vegetarians attended the party at a rate of 2 students to every 3 non-students, half the rate for non-vegetarians.
Thus, for the NVs, students : non-students = 4:3. This means that 3/7 of the NVs were non-students. Here is what the grid now looks like:

Since in the center box we have (3/7)(1/2)T = 15, we can solve for T.
Sufficient.

Statement 2: 30% of the guests were vegetarian non-students.
No information about the non-student NVs.
Insufficient.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sureng » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:24 pm
Mitch:
I am little confused at the way you arrived at 3/7.

"Thus, for the NVs, students : non-students = 4:3. This means that 3/7 of the NVs were non-students. "
Can you pls clarify?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by sureng » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:26 pm
and also

"(3/7)(1/2)T = 15" ?