Please Rate my Stats, looking for Part Time MBA in DC Area

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello,

I would appreciate if someone could please rate my stats.

- Age 26 (will be 27 at enrollment)
- GMAT 590 (32Q,39V, 61 percentile) - Took the test one time, and studied the official GMAT book for about one month. Took two practice tests and scored 600 and 640. Interestingly, on both practice tests my math was much higher and verbal was lower.
- GPA 3.88 (Cum Laude) - Graduated from the University of Maryland, College Park with a degree in Economics.
- 3+ (will have four by enrollment) years of work experience with a Fortune 500 Aerospace and Defense firm. Also, briefly worked for Booz Allen Hamilton doing consulting.
- Graduated a two year Leadership Development Program.

I am looking to go to a solid part-time MBA program in the DC area. I have my sights set on George Mason University. My employer will cover 90% of the cost. My backup is Marymount University which I am confident I can get into.

Here is the GMU class profile for evening MBA.

- 610 Avg GMAT (80% within 570 to 640)
- GPA 3.28
- Avg age 29
- Avg work experience 6 years
- Class acceptance rate 65%, class size 304

I am not looking for a top-rated school because I enjoy my job and I am with a company I want to make a career. I am looking for an MBA that is affordable and allows me the flexibility to work at the same time.

Does anyone have any experience with GMU or provide some advice whether I should apply to GMU now or wait, and retake the GMATs?

Thanks,
J

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:740

by karanrulz4ever » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:44 pm
You do have a great chance of getting in...u should give it a go....

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:52 members
GMAT Score:760

by rishi raj » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:52 pm
Post your question in the right forum. Here's the link
https://www.beatthegmat.com/research-mba ... s-f43.html

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by jaygirl001 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:08 pm
Hey there!

You have a great GPA :D

I thought about GMU and when I was doing some research on their program I noticed one of the requirements is a study abroad tour (or maybe internship). Do you think you would be able to accomodate it with your work-schedule? Also, do you live in Maryland? If so, you would have to pay the out of state tuition rate. I know you mentioned your employer will cover a good part of your tuition, but if you are out of state then it would be a good idea to consider AU, George Washington, and Georgetown. All three have great night programs.