Profile Evaluation and college shortlisting - urgent!

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi Jennifer,

I need help shortlisting the Schools:

Male, Indian Applicant
6 years of work experience by July 2011(IT)
2 years of international experience July 2011(Russia and Czech republic)
GMAT 730(50Q, 39V, AWA waiting)
BE(Elecrical Engg): 80%
12th: 90%
10th:90%

Exta Currics: Was the dramatic secretary of the college and in my company work on different event management activities. I do a bit of social work too. I do dance shows during office functions and have won swimming competitions.

MBA Goals: Consulting, general project management

Target Schools: ISB, NUS, Nanyang, Cambridge, Oxford, Rotterdam , Top 20 US School.

Kindly please advice. I need to apply as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Sandeep

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:17 pm
Sandeep -
Thanks for your posting. I would suggest you apply to several of the business schools that are just below the "Top 10" rankings. I would include ISB in that Top 10. You have a basically strong resume, but with six years of works experience, you will be a bit out of the range of many of the very top schools. Rotterdam, Nanyang, and schools in that 10-15 ranking range could be good options for you.
Your extracurriculars are not that differentiating for you. Instead, I would talk about your two years of international experiences in Russia and Eastern Europe.
Be very clear why you want to transition into consulting and general management - there are a ton of former engineers who say they want to do this, but thinking it through and making a good "case" for this difficult transition is key.
Best of luck,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by sandy46410 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:07 am
Thanks a lot Jennifer.

I have just one doubt when you say "You have a basically strong resume, but with six years of works experience, you will be a bit out of the range of many of the very top schools." Is my work experience less for top colleges? My work experience also includes managing a team of more than 6 people since last 3 years. Will that help in any way?

Thanks,
Sandeep

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:13 am
Sandeep -

Sorry if I was not clear. Six years of work experience means you will be older and out of the age range for many of the top tier schools. They are usually admitting students with four years of work experience - many of whom have already managed teams of the size you manage. The idea is that business schools want to have the maximum impact on a student's career trajectory, and the earlier they attend business school, the greater the impact of the MBA on their career.

So, since you are outside of that range, you need to show how those extra years of work experience are to your advantage and will equip you to make more meaningful contributions to the class.

Best,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process