GMAT score to use (690 vs 710 but range of percentiles)

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi,

I just took the GMAT for a second time today and came out with a decent score but not outstanding (710). However, my bigger issue is that the percentile differential is much bigger this time around than last time. Here are the stats:
1st Test: Quant: 47 (77%) / Verbal 38 (83%) = 690 (88%)
2nd Test: Quant: 43 (65%) / Verbal 44 (97%) = 710 (92%)

I've heard directly from someone in admissions at Wharton that they prefer a baseline 80th percentile in both verbal and math. Therefore, I suppose I have two questions at this point - first, for schools that I am allowed to submit only one GMAT score for, which should I use (1st test or 2nd test), and secondly, whether either of these scores might make the cut.

In terms of my other stats, they are as follows:
Work experience - 2 years at bulge bracket IBD, 2 years mid-market healthcare growth equity PE shop (interesting add-on is that it's a startup, and I was the first associate hired to the firm to help launch the fund)

Education - Columbia, graduated cum laude with 3.8 GPA

Extracurriculars - Captain of a recreational volleyball team, captain of recruiting team at bank, help with recruiting at PE shop, but not too much else along this front

Schools - Stanford, Harvard, Wharton

Thanks again for your advice!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:45 pm
Thanks for your question. This is so weird to say, but I think I would use the 690. The scores are much more balanced, and as a banker, a low quant score will not look good. Also, the closer both sections are to 80%, the better.

Overall, I think you are competitve for Wharton. Stanford and Harvard are usually harder for me to assess without the essays and recommendations better understood, but they seem possible for you.

Good luck!
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by anapplicant » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:46 am
That was a really interesting viewpoint, and it was definitely something I was thinking about in the back of my mind. Alternatively, do you think it would hold much weight if I submitted the 710 and then wrote an "additional information" essay noting my quantitative raw score in my first test? Some of my other colleagues have recommended that, but none are immersed in the admissions game like you are!

With regard to some other stats in my profile, here are some general ideas that I'm aiming for in the application:
Goals - Transition to an operational role from finance (i work in a healthcare PE shop) - short term is to incubate a healthcare pharma/biotech venture outside of the US (I haven't worked internationally but want to gain experience there), and long term is to manage the sales & marketing organization of a pharma company leveraging the relationships I built in the venture space.

Essays - I'm trying to push balance and a commitment/loyalty to family/job. I'm openly gay at a PE shop and mention that in one of the essays, and talk about mentorship to other analysts in the investment bank. also resourcefulness from building the pe shop from scratch since it's a start up and i had to create all of the infrastructure.

Recommendations - I'm using a combination of three from my two jobs - two at my current and one from former. For my two current, one is the founder/chairman of my firm, who hired me and who works with me directly a fairly significant amount. He taught at/attended Wharton as well. Second is the principal I work with the most on a daily basis, attended HBS. Third is an executive director from my investment bank, went to Wharton.

Hopefully that gives you a bit more clarity on my profile. Would love to hear any further insight about Stanford/Harvard.

Final question (unrelated to the rest) - do you know if having other alums from the school sending emails/calling after I submit will help my candidacy? There are several colleagues from Harvard / Stanford that are willing to but I'm not sure if that actually helps. I can also post this in a different post if that is preferred.

I appreciate your advice!