Confused - Help Please

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Confused - Help Please

by tryinghard » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:48 pm
I read your articel and have a question on the same lines.

I have been thinking about my career goals and the reason to do an MBA and I am really confused on how to approach it. The real reason is that I am stuck in my job and have not been promoted for 4 years for a multitude of reasons. Although, my work quality has improved but not designations becuase of the economy, my visa status coupled with the company that I work for etc etc. The real reason is to get out of this vicious circle and I believe an MBA will help me in getting out of it because I will be able to build contacts, I am good at what I do and I just know that it will work out. Also, I really want to do an MBA from a top school because I couldn't do a full time college and for once I want to study from the best. This is heartfelt, but very weak.

The made up story is that I want to do an mba because I want to gain knowledge in different business concepts and because my job requires such concepts. Now this is also true, but not eniterly, I don't get goose bumps when I say this and people say that you should get goose bumps when you read your own essays.

I am really confused, any thoughts on this.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:53 pm
Dear tryinghard -

You are correct - your professional and personal life VISION matters. Your goals for yourself and reasons for wanting an MBA must be inspiring and exciting - at least to you! Also, the schools know that an MBA is a major investment in time, money, and energy. Students who they perceive are faking it raise a concern that the candidate will not be a leader and active, happy member of their community.

Every MBA will teach you "business concepts" but generally schools like to see a passion for a certain industry, functional role, geographic region, etc. You do not seem to share any real enthusiasm for your goals.

In Round 2, I would suggest you spend some time to sharpen your professional goals essays and reasons for wanting to obtain an MBA.

Best,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by tryinghard » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:17 pm
Thanks Jennifer,

I think I am not trying hard enough.