Profile Eval

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Eval

by neurodoc » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:49 pm
I am in a unique situation and was wondering if you could give me your opinion. I am a surgeon in the process of finishing my neurosurgery training. I am very familiar with medical school application/selection, but when it comes to business school, I really do not have any frame of reference. I am interested in pursuing an MBA because I hope to be the chairman of a neurosurgery department one day and the business training would be very useful (some of my colleagues have done the same). I was orginally in a combined MD/MBA program at my medical school, but pulled out of the MBA part due to the costs at the time. I have now talked to many people in medicine about it, some who suggested maybe an MHA, but I really think an MBA with its fundamental business courses will help to build a new perspective on some of the issues that plague the healthcare system. In any case, here is my information - I really appreciate any advice you have. Thanks!

Age: 28, but I would be applying next year for the full time MBA, so I would be 29 then.
Asian-American
Undergrad GPA: 3.5/4 from a Tier I school, majored in biochem and minored in math
Grad school: Medical Doctor degree with clinical honors
I am currently finishing my training in neurosurgery at a university hospital that is well-known, but I have been given permission to take two years off to do my MBA.
I have held leadership positions, such as the neurosurgery rep for the Graduate Medical Education Committee. I analyzed the issues and proposed solutions to improve neurosurgical training. I founded the neurosurgical anatomy lab. I have also served as Chief Resident at another hospital responsible for directing neurosurgical care. I have multiple publications in academic journals (neurosurgical journals of course).
On the side, I partnered with an intensive care nurse and started a home health agency. We provide home nursing care for patients who require it.
I took my GMATs a few months ago and scored a 730 (Q48/82%,V42/95%) awa 5.5. I only took it once.

I will have a letter of recommendation from the current Chairman of Neurosurgery and also one from the head of Neurosurgical oncology (who has an MHA). They are both very supportive of my pursuit and I am sure they will write strong letters (though they are not true "business" people).

I am most interested in Kellogg or Booth. Would I have a reasonable shot at these schools? Does my lack of formal business experience hurt me? Does my lack of recommendations from true business people hurt me and would my age be considered on the higher end?

Thanks again for your time!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:25 pm
Neurodoc -

Thank you so much for posting your profile. Needless to say, there are not that many neurosurgeons who pursue MBA school, and this will be a major advantage to you.

I want to cover the questions that you ended your posting with:

"I am most interested in Kellogg or Booth. Would I have a reasonable shot at these schools?" I believe that you do. Be sure to do your research on the specific attributes of each program because they are very different schools! The more specifically you can tie yourself to a school's academic and student culture, the better you will likely do in making the case that you belong in the next class they select. Also, it seems like you want to stay in the Chicago area, but please keep in mind that Wharton has a fabulous healthcare management program as well.

"Does my lack of formal business experience hurt me? Does my lack of recommendations from true business people hurt me?" You are so untraditional of a candidate that it will not hurt you; schools will likely see your perspective as a bit of positive. Share with the Admissions Committee(s) how you will be able to share different angles on a variety of business topics (leadership in an operating theater, teamwork, crisis management, operations management based on a hospital setting, etc.) in the classroom in ways that other students likely will not be able to. But, that means you also need to be crystal clear about "Why MBA" school for yourself. Be sure you also have in-depth conversations with your recommenders so that they echo your goals and clearly state your high potential to serve a hospital in a role that will demand an MBA.

"Would my age be considered on the higher end?" It will be on the higher end, but given the years spent in medical school, I do not think this will be held against you.
Best of luck!
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process