Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

realistic target with a 680??

by viidyasagar » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:28 am
Kindly help me figure the best b'schools i should target

No of times taken the GMAT: thrice (600-590-680)

Profile summary: I have over 4 years of strategy consulting experience, including about 6-8 months of international assignments, have been a radio host, hosting live radio shows in Mumbai for over 2.5 years, solid community service for over 4 years, and a moderator at this wonderful forum: BTG. I recently won an award for the best employee at my firm (top ten consulting firm), within 3 months of joining the firm. My GPA is 3.0 as per WES. (hope their evaluation is valid)

My GMAT breakup (Q 49 (86 percentile), V 34(68 percentile) for a 680).

My biggest achievement, though, came last year when i quit my consulting job bang in the middle of recession to pursue freelance consulting opportunities. During these 12 months, i single-handedly initiated and implemented a technology transformation project at All India radio (local government radio station) with results to show, Similarly, i executed several freelance engagements before deciding to re-join Consulting.

Also during my consulting experience, i have excellent cross-culture experience, working on projects dealing with 900 people from 30 nationalities, most of them fearing for their jobs

Target schools: My target schools are/ were Wharton, HBS, Chicago Booth, Kellogg, Insead, Said, Judge....basically university pedigree, followed by school brand

But now, it would be great to know the best schools i should apply to with a realistic chance of getting in.

Additional information

Best employee' award at my firm - At my firm, awards are given out every quarter. I led a 5 member team to recommend a business strategy for an Operations Research association aiming to increase membership. It was a "high stakes" project, executed to the satisfaction of the client.

Why I left my job to pursue my own consulting opportunities - I wasn't having adequate impact in my role at my last firm. Assignments were gravitating more towards research than consulting. At the same time, i saw an excellent opportunity to transform a radio station....through my contacts i had projects i could execute from home, basically opportunity cost viz-a-viz impact/ satisfaction of work tilted in favor of this decision

why did i then rejoined your consulting firm - going freelance was never a permanent career decision. Post the radio project...(the radio project went on for over 6 months), i took up other work i had committed to, but once that was over...i started looking for a job again...In India, it's very tough for a non-mba to break into a top consulting firm....i think my experience as a freelancer made my entry into a "branded" consulting firm possible.

short term goals - CONSULTING at one of the top 3 strategy consulting firms....(Mc, BC, etc.).....my job now doesn't involve facing clients directly, it's more remote work supporting my firm's consultants around the world... since i've a lot of experience in the power/ utilities/ energy sector, i would like to specialize in that domain...also be involved with radio, training aspirants, hosting weekend live shows as is the case now

Long term goal: I want to specialize in the energy sector and be an independent energy expert...

Weakness: 3.0 GPA, GMAT, career break in 2006-07 (7 months, it was then i that discovered the NGO i ended being an integral part of)

tx for helping
Vidyasagar

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:25 pm
Viidayasagar -

Thanks for your detailed posting! I appreciate that you have done some self-evaluation and introspection before asking for my evaluation!

I think it is wonderful that you are not the "standard male, Indian, IT guy." Play this up. The nonprofit involvement, radio station work, and freelancing experiences are all different from what I typically see. Now, I wonder why you are so set on strategy consulting after business school. Is this a short term (3-5 years) or long term goal of yours? The radio work is much more differentiating, so if you could use that as part of your career goals, it might help a bit.

Your less-than-stellar GMAT score and more mature age is going to work against you with HBS. I always consider Stanford a bit of a lottery. Kellogg, Wharton, INSEAD, and Booth are all very competitive programs, and given your scores and demographic, I would still consider them reach schools for you. Judge is less competitive that those schools, and if you are 100% committed to MBA school next year, I would apply to at least one school below that Top 10 echelon.

I hope this helps.
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by viidyasagar » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:20 am
Hey Jennifer,

thanks for ur reply

Yes, radio is my differentiator but i dont have any long term plan with it...it's just something, i am told, i'm good at and i like doing.....i dont know how to include my differentiator as part of goals if it's not that way...the only way is to faff that it is..but i rather not..

in terms of goals....i want to do strategy consulting in the short term coz that's what i know; in the long term i want to become an independent "energy sector" expert, if possible having a say on a country's policy issues.

also, Since i posted, i ve revisited my school list coz i badly want to join school next year (given my age)

In the descending order of dreams......Duke fuqua, ross, darden, HEC paris, carnegie mellon tepper, ISB, Said, McCombs, and Georgetown...

would love ur take on them.....tx again....i must say, ur website mbamission.com is extremely useful..the career goals essay guide is an invaluable piece of jewel...

Sincerely
vidyasagar