need help ..regarding career

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

need help ..regarding career

by aliaas01 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:20 pm
hi ,i am a student of final year of BE(COMP) .I am planning for MBA in US. i know that it will require some 2-3 year experience.There is a organisation Teach for India(TFI). TFI that its a social service and I have to teach student of rural area for 2 years full time(MON-SAT). website https://www.teachforindia.org/opportunities.php .TFI has tie-up with many top university like harvard,stanford,princeton and IIM ,ISB .I get two year experience from this.

i want to ask you that i am from IT field ..may be i get job as software engg. in a big firm AND get 2-3 experience and then give GMAT and apply for MBA.or should i go for TFI and then give gmat and then apply
one more thing i want to ask you that other US univ. also consider TFI as 2 year experience or not. And through TFI i will get some scholarship or not.And if i get good gmat score(above 700) then is there any chance for harvad,stanford (i am average in academics gpa 3.2)....please help me ..

this program is same as teach for america.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by AnkitTFI » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:57 pm
Teach For India's current tie-ups are:

Stanford University Graduate School of Business
Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs
Columbia University School of Law
Princeton Woodrow Wilson School of Public Affairs
Harvard Kennedy School of Government
Harvard Law School
Harvard Business School
ISB
SP Jain Institute of Management & Research

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:11 am
aliaas01 -

Thank you for your questions, and I commend you for considering Teach for India. It sounds like a wonderful program, and if it is like Teach for America, it will be competitve to get into as well. I believe that for the schools you mention, TFI would be more differentiating than working at a large software company. They will definitely see the two years you might spend with TFI as work experience.

However, I am concerned that you have not really clarified your own goals and career objectives. TFI may not be the best preparation for business school if you need to use a professional experience to try out an industry, functional area, etc. TFI makes sense if you believe that it would be two years spent developing certain skills or having certain experiences that you wish to have. It may be a great way for you to spend two years, but only you know what your longer term goals are.

Hope this helps,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process