Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hello!

I need help in school selection

My profile:

GMAT = 740 (q49, v42), AWA=5.5

B.Tech (mechanical engg), from National institute of Technology NIT janshedpur
GPA =8.34/10

Workex= 2 yrs (as on date). will be 3 years by the time a join a school
Employer = Reliance Infrastructure Ltd. India's largest Private player in the power sector . developing about 40,000 MW. A group company on Anil Ambani group, India's second largest business house

Job profile: 1 year as 'construction engineer' at an upcoming power project
1 year as Asstt. manager in Business Strategy & business Development. (current)

Career goals:want to move to a postion of higher responsibility within the energy sector in a General Management role OR an infrastructure consulting firm (energy domain)

Want to work in india for the next 2-3 years

Extra C:
was the general secreatry of student council at NIT
head student volunteer of annual fest organising committee
Hall president of Student hostel
won several prizes for ghazals, poetry writing

NSE certified market professional level-1 (NCMP) (NSE is the national stock exchange of India)

I have already applied to Indian school of Business in R1. recommendaions from my ex-manager (who is a ISB alum) and Vice President of my company (my current manager, IITKanpur+INSEAD alum). planning to take recommedatons from both of them for other schools as well

So far I have shortlisted MIT Sloan, NUS, INSEAD, Haas

what other schools in US or Europe shall I target ?

was planning to apply to LBS but the feedback I got from an alum was not encouraging. Is it true that no international workex/no NGO work = No LBS, or top 10-15 schools (with my kind of a profile)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:40 pm
vivnitrel -

Thanks for your questions regarding your profile and potential schools. Your challenge is differentiating yourself from a very competitive pool (Indian male engineers).

While your work experience in the power sector sounds good, I cannot tell what your role and experiences have been within Reliance. So, you would need to clarify for an admissions committee. Additionally, you are lucky to have two recommenders with MBAs. They might also be able to round out your professional story beyond the typical engineer's.

I like your career goals because they are energy related, which is somewhat differentiating.

Your extracurriculars are okay, but they are not outstanding.

You have listed some very competitive schools on your list. MIT Sloan and INSEAD are the most competitive. Haas is less competitive and might be a good option. Additionally, have you looked at Ross (Michigan), McCombs (Texas) or even Rice? Be sure to do some research on MBA programs with an emphasis on the energy business as well.

Good luck,
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process