Stanford Reapplicant / re-took GMAT & applying R1

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
I applied R2 to a few schools last year (Columbia, NYU, & Stanford) with a pretty low GMAT (560) and just hoped to get in with all my extracurricular activities, professional experiences and multicultural/diverse upbringing. Unfortunately, I didn't get accepted and now I'm looking to re-apply R1 for these schools and a few others. I took the GMAT a few months ago (third time) and scored a 620, so I'm just going to give it another go and re-apply with that score.

For Stanford, the reapplication involves completing a FULL application (whereas Columbia & NYU require just 1 reapplicant essay). My question is: How can I differentiate this application if it's only been 9 months since I last applied? I'm particularly concerned with the first question "What matters to you most and why?". Can I use the same essay I applied with last year? If I don't use the same essay, should the new essay I write show similiar values & traits of what really does matter to me?

This is the one school that is really baffling me! Any help would be much appreciated :)
Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:35 pm
Dear Deejet82 -

Thanks for your question.

It is always a challenge crafting a reapplication, and the Stanford essay "What matters to you most and why?" probably has not changed too much in the past nine months. However, take the time to reflect on what you wrote last year and see if you still feel that your essay best answers the question. You may have a better example or reasoning for some of the dimensions you discussed last year.

Also, if you can hone the essay and improve the writing in general, that is always a good idea.

I was a successful reapplicant to HBS, and I probably changed a similar essay approximately 30% the second year. Just one example, but I think it made sense to edit my own work the second time around.

Good luck to you.
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Deejet82 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:17 am
Thanks, Jennifer.
Yes I probably will change it up a little bit with events from the past year but my "theme" is essentially the same. What do you think about using one of the same recommendations as last year though? My current boss wrote an amazing one last year and I would definitely love to re-use it.

Thanks again!
Diana

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by jkhousto » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:44 am
Diana -
I think it is fine to ask a current boss to write another rec. However, do not just use last year's vernsion. Be sure to have him/her specifically write about your growth within the past year. If this makes you more valuable/interesting/prepared for business school, it can really help. Also, since you are a reapplicant, the boss can say that you have been working towards this goal of ultimate acceptance to b-school for the past year.
Hope this is helpful.
Jennifer
Jennifer Houston, MBA
Consultant
mbaMission

Our Mission is Your Mission

www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (14 individual school titles)
Visit the mbaMission Blog
Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Download the mbaMission Webinar, Demystifying the MBA Admissions Process