employment rate

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

employment rate

by vscid » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:24 pm
The recent decline in the employment rate was spurred by predictions of slow economic growth in the coming year. However, those predictions would not have affected the employment rate if it had not been for the lack of capital reserves of major industries. So if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate will not decline in the future.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the validity of the argument above?

1]Major industry foresaw the drop in employment.

2]Some major industries had appreciable capital reserves.

3]An increase in labor costs could adversely affect the employment rate.

4]The government could pass legislation mandating that major industries set aside a fixed amount as capital reserves every year.

5]The drop in the employment rate was more severe this year than last.
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:30 pm
im gonna say A because it presents the most direct cyclical explantion
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

by vscid » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:36 pm
money9111 wrote:im gonna say A because it presents the most direct cyclical explantion
did u time this?
The GMAT is indeed adaptable. Whenever I answer RC, it proficiently 'adapts' itself to mark my 'right' answer 'wrong'.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:00 pm
i did not time that one... it may have been just shy of two minutes... wasn't under 1:30 though
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:18 pm
I think it should be C.
Last edited by reply2spg on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by thephoenix » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:20 pm
vscid wrote:The recent decline in the employment rate was spurred by predictions of slow economic growth in the coming year. However, those predictions would not have affected the employment rate if it had not been for the lack of capital reserves of major industries. So if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate will not decline in the future.

Which of the following, if true, casts the most doubt on the validity of the argument above?

1]Major industry foresaw the drop in employment.

2]Some major industries had appreciable capital reserves.

3]An increase in labor costs could adversely affect the employment rate.

4]The government could pass legislation mandating that major industries set aside a fixed amount as capital reserves every year.

5]The drop in the employment rate was more severe this year than last.
Conclusion is "if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate will not decline in the future."

Premise "However, those predictions would not have affected the employment rate if it had not been for the lack of capital reserves of major industries."

choice C does attacks the premise

IMO C

by paddle_sweep » Sat May 01, 2010 12:49 am
IMO it's C. Please post the OA.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by kaushals » Sat May 01, 2010 12:06 pm
IMO B..

Premise: Employment rates has decreased bcoz there were predictions about the lack of capital with major industries.
Conclusion: So if capital is increased then there will be less unemployment..

B says that there was enough capital with the industry in past. which seriously affects the validity of premise as well as the argument.

by ansumania » Sat May 01, 2010 7:36 pm
OA pl................

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:164 members
GMAT Score:800

by Testluv » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:45 pm
received a pm.

The conclusion is the last sentence of the passage. Note the ambitiousness/extremity of the conclusion. The author argues that if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate WILL NOT decline.

To weaken, we just need to find a choice that tells us there are other ways to decrease the employment rate.

Only now, with this predition in mind, do we approach the answer choices, hunting for one that matches our prediction. Remember, we don't care about wrong answers and why they are wrong. Also, we should recognize that often it is harder to reason why a tempting wrong answer is wrong than it is to see why the right answer is right. So, if we overuse POE, it will hurt our score.

That's why Kaplan's method is predict and match.

Which choice matches our prediction above? That is, which choice tells us that there are other ways of hurting employment rate?...clearly choice C.

Choose C.
Kaplan Teacher in Toronto

Legendary Member
GMAT Score:570

by reply2spg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:09 pm
C it is
Sudhanshu
(have lot of things to learn from all of you)

by ansumania » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:41 am
Testluv wrote:received a pm.

The conclusion is the last sentence of the passage. Note the ambitiousness/extremity of the conclusion. The author argues that if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate WILL NOT decline.

To weaken, we just need to find a choice that tells us there are other ways to decrease the employment rate.

Only now, with this predition in mind, do we approach the answer choices, hunting for one that matches our prediction. Remember, we don't care about wrong answers and why they are wrong. Also, we should recognize that often it is harder to reason why a tempting wrong answer is wrong than it is to see why the right answer is right. So, if we overuse POE, it will hurt our score.

Which choice matches our prediction above? That is, which choice tells us that there are other ways of hurting employment rate?...clearly choice C.

Choose C.
can B be hold? It shows evidence that though the 'cause' wasn't there, the 'effect' happened

Followed by:1 members

by brijesh » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:39 am

Choose C.
I would like to invite expert comment on this thought process:

Fact: There is a decline in the employment rate.

And the decline rate is being spurred by prediction of slow economic growth.

Argument-1: Again, the lack of capital reserves of major industries adding to the problem of decline in employment rate.

Argument-2 or Conclusion: if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate will not decline in the future.

If we consider argument -1, then option B seems right choice. (there is sufficient reserve with major industries but still there is no decline in employment rate)

But, If we consider argument -2, then option C seems right (As Testluv argued)

by hero » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:46 am
i would say the problem with B is that it starts the answer of with "SOME of major industries". for the gmat, some does not equal all; some does not equal most either. if some of the industries follow answer B, that doesn't give us enough information to say the effect WILL NOT decline the unemployment rate.

my concern though is answer A. Perhaps it is the error in the writing of the answer choice. Is it suppose to be " A major industry foresaw" or is it "major INDUSTRIES foresaw..." i don't think it can be as written right? doesn't make any sense. maybe that's the basis i should have originally denied it on.

however, i see how (C) weakens the argument, and since only one answer will weaken the question, that is the strongest answer. and new information is allowed in the answer choices to help weaken a question stem.

still wondering if answer A is properly worded though?

brijesh wrote:

Choose C.
I would like to invite expert comment on this thought process:

Fact: There is a decline in the employment rate.

And the decline rate is being spurred by prediction of slow economic growth.

Argument-1: Again, the lack of capital reserves of major industries adding to the problem of decline in employment rate.

Argument-2 or Conclusion: if major industries increase their capital reserves, the employment rate will not decline in the future.

If we consider argument -1, then option B seems right choice. (there is sufficient reserve with major industries but still there is no decline in employment rate)

But, If we consider argument -2, then option C seems right (As Testluv argued)