Keep time?

Share feedback about this free GMAT prep guide
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Keep time?

by RickH » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:00 am
Generally speaking for the first couple of days in the math part of the preparation, should time be considered a dominant factor or should one primarily aim to understand the steps of solving the problems?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:37 am
Hi RickH,

In the early stages of studying, do not concern yourself with time. Instead, try to identify the different approaches that can be taken to solve each question.

Having said that, it is very important to become good at recognizing when 2 minutes have passed. When you are writing the official test, you shouldn't be looking at the clock every 15 seconds; you should instinctively know when 2 minutes have passed. So, as you practice solving questions, use some kind of timer. I use my watch, since I can have it beep after 2 minutes. So, even though time is not a concern in the early stages of your studying, it's still good to use some kind of timer that lets you know when 2 minutes have passed.

I hope that helps,
Brent

RickH wrote:Generally speaking for the first couple of days in the math part of the preparation, should time be considered a dominant factor or should one primarily aim to understand the steps of solving the problems?
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com