Getting Consecutive Questions Incorrect On CAT

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
Does the score drag down more if consecutive questions are answered incorrectly? I recently gave a CAT with 15 questions incorrect, 8 out of which were the last ones. I got a 27 scaled score .

Thanks
Ricky

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:09 am
rickyishere wrote:Does the score drag down more if consecutive questions are answered incorrectly? I recently gave a CAT with 15 questions incorrect, 8 out of which were the last ones. I got a 27 scaled score .

Thanks
Ricky

I dont think there is some strategy relating to consecutive questions.

Though,I would like to hear from someone professional..
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rickyishere » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:32 pm
harsh.champ wrote:
rickyishere wrote:Does the score drag down more if consecutive questions are answered incorrectly? I recently gave a CAT with 15 questions incorrect, 8 out of which were the last ones. I got a 27 scaled score .

Thanks
Ricky

I dont think there is some strategy relating to consecutive questions.

Though,I would like to hear from someone professional..
Yes it will be great if some expert can verify this. I had similar issue for quant as well where my last 7-8 questions were wrong. I know this means i gotta work on my pacing :(

GMAT Instructor

by david@knewton » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:49 am
Missing lots of questions will absolutely bring down your score :-). That said, there is nothing particularly special about getting small numbers of questions wrong all in a row. If you miss a string of questions at the beginning of the test, you still have the opportunity to improve your score by answering the remaining questions correctly. If you miss a long string of questions at the end of the test, however, you will have no opportunity to answer more questions, and as such, no further opportunity to improve your score. The key is definitely pacing. In order to do your best, you need to make sure that you leave yourself enough time to answer each question. And don't forget: answer all the questions, even if you have to guess. The penalty for not finishing is huge!

I hope this was helpful,
Dave
David Kuntz
Vice President of Research, Knewton
https://www.knewton.com