Good verbal CAT?

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Good verbal CAT?

by gmattester123 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:01 pm
Hi all. Which CAT best mimics the Verbal portion on the GMAT? Of course, the GMAT Prep is the best, but I am coming to a point where I need additional CATs to practice off of because I can take the GMAT Prep only so many times. Unfortunately, I find that sometimes, the Manhattan GMAT Prep is not a good reflection of the actual GMAT verbal questions (ie. the Manhattan SC questions are skewed towards their SC guide). Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:02 pm
gmattester123 wrote:Hi all. Which CAT best mimics the Verbal portion on the GMAT? Of course, the GMAT Prep is the best, but I am coming to a point where I need additional CATs to practice off of because I can take the GMAT Prep only so many times. Unfortunately, I find that sometimes, the Manhattan GMAT Prep is not a good reflection of the actual GMAT verbal questions (ie. the Manhattan SC questions are skewed towards their SC guide). Opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!
While I believe they lack sufficient 700-800 level verbal questions, Princeton Review does the best job, in my opinion, of mimicking the logic of the actual gmat.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Due » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:15 am
Can you tell me why you consider Princeton review a god match to PowerPrep.
Even I have run out of MGMAT tests and trying to find a better match for verbal section.

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:54 pm
Due wrote:Can you tell me why you consider Princeton review a god match to PowerPrep.
Even I have run out of MGMAT tests and trying to find a better match for verbal section.
In my opinion, the princeton review verbal questions do the best job of getting the logic right for the CR questions, and the SC questions are good. The Reading Comp questions are good, but they are definitely easier than anything you will see on the actual exam, so your score will be slightly inflated because of this.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:10 pm
So if I were to take the Princeton review CAT and the score was inflated, how would that properly mimic that of the actual GMAT? What about Veritas?
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

GMAT Instructor

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:38 am
money9111 wrote:So if I were to take the Princeton review CAT and the score was inflated, how would that properly mimic that of the actual GMAT? What about Veritas?
I don't think you can really use any CAT to accurately imitate the GMAT (except for GMAT Prep). I would just use a CAT to identify weaknesses and get timing down.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-retake-o ... 51414.html

Brandon Dorsey
GMAT Instructor
Veritas Prep

Buy any Veritas Prep book(s) and receive access to 5 Practice Cats for free! Learn More.

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:37 am
Agreed - but the original question was "Hi all. Which CAT best mimics the Verbal portion on the GMAT?" So I was confused at the Princeton Review reference, but I realized that what you meant was that the Logic for the Princeton Review mimics the Verbal portion on the GMAT.
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants