V25 need help-suggestions are welcome

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

V25 need help-suggestions are welcome

by bedazzled » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:44 pm
hey guys,

I have my GMAT in June. I just gave GMATprep q47 v25. Is this possible to score above 40 in verbal in next four months. I want to increase my reading speed in RC & CR. It eats all my time though I manage to finish it in time but ended with wrong answers. :evil: I am frustated with V25. I saw lot of threads that talk about they managed to beat the GMAT in 4-6 months time. But I didn't saw anyone whose score was such a low in verbal. Did this happened to anyone else??? did you mange to get above 40??? Is 4 months are enough for preparing CR & RC???

Suggestions are invited. Yeah, I need them badly.

Thanks,
bedazzled

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:760

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:33 pm
If you mainly need help with RC and CR I would recommend using Powerscore's Critical Reasoning Bible. They are the only prep company, in my opinion, that mimics the logic of the actual test with their materials. Good luck.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:34 members

by Osirus@VeritasPrep » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:34 pm
Also, you may want to consider getting powerscores Reading Comprehension Bible as well. Both of these books are pretty big, so make sure you allocate enough time to go through them.

by bedazzled » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:50 am
Thanks guys I would appreciate if you can tell me in how many months I could take my score to some decent level at least 35 in verbal provided if I prepare 20 hrs a week( 5-6 hrs on saturday and sunday).

Just tell by your experience.

Regards,
bedazzled

Followed by:1 members

by Yes.WeCan » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:46 am
The most important thing for someone who isn't familiar with reading a lot and comprehensive language is to get used to it.

My advice: subscribe to Wall Street Journal or The Economist. Read the magazine/newspaper THOROUGHLY, make sure you know the essence of each and every story. Try to practice reading online aswell, WSJ online and Economist online are great reading resources.

While things like PowerScore are great resources to "attack" questions, it's quite useless if you don't have any clue what the story is about.

Fundamentals first, attacking second.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by Eldorjon » Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:49 pm
Hello guys,

I totally agree with the previous replies, but I have several points to add.

First, don't be intimidated by your initial score. My verbal score at the beginning of my prep was no more than yours, but now, after some preparation, my verbal score is quite improved. I recently scored 45 on PowerPrep after only RC and CR prep. You need just to choose proper prep strategy.

I advise you prep with your quant at first (say, in 15-20 days) and then proceed to the verbal part and deal with it seriously. For now, I think, you should start OG and review each question type. Then, go to each section and study all the concepts in detail. From the beginning get used to read articles. Search for speed reading materials in this and other forums.

Also, read the strategy recommended by this guy:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/770-q50-v45- ... 31620.html

This post should encourage and make you believe that you can improve you verbal score. Besides, his strategy is great and I strongly advise you to seriously consider it.

All the best with your prep

by bedazzled » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:11 am
Thanks guys I think I am now ready to attack on verbal section. I've got economist subscription & I m reading a lot so that I don't feel reluctant to read CR & RC questions. Hope, this will work in next 4 months. I also want to thank 4 the links & suggestions as they've got wonderful approach towards verbal. Now, my only strategy is to take my score to 35 in next 1-2 months. Then I'll try for above 40. :)