newbie questions

Let's talk about...whatever!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

newbie questions

by vicky_0007 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:01 am
Hi,
this is my 1st post in this site n also 1st regarding GMAT .
i am working for telecom company as s/w engg (exp 1.5yrs and did my BE in IT).

i will be completing sun and oracle certification stuff by end of December 09.

i thought to go for GMAT for further studies in MBA .

i am planning to start GMAT study from 1st JAN 2010 (new year resolution ).
could you guys help me for

1. time span for exam preparation(considering work load).

2. when i should go n book the date...ideal G date n booking date ? (which will help me to apply to abroad Univ ).

4. what is decent score ? (consider my 2year exp by that time + certifications and grades....)

5. is 2year exp as s/w engg and score around 600-650 is good enough to get in top 20 ?

6. i would like to join course by End of 2010 is it fine or i should apply for 2011?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:13 pm
1. time span for exam preparation(considering work load). This will vary depending on how quickly you grasp the GMAC testing standards. If you take a prep course, you will be able to precisely budget your preparation time, which some find helpful.

2. when i should go n book the date...ideal G date n booking date ? (which will help me to apply to abroad Univ ). As long as you have the test completed by the time you apply you are good.

4. what is decent score ? (consider my 2year exp by that time + certifications and grades....) Top 20 schools are trending towards 80% range around 640-740.

5. is 2year exp as s/w engg and score around 600-650 is good enough to get in top 20 ? Depends on what you accomplished in your two years of professional work and how much leadership, maturity, innovation and teamwork you prove cabable of.

6. i would like to join course by End of 2010 is it fine or i should apply for 2011? If you want to matriculate in 2010, you need to get busy fast, as 2nd round deadlines are approaching in January for most top schools. You definitely do not want to apply in 3rd round as there are precious few seats left and schools by then are looking for very specific candidate profiles to "round out" their class.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by vicky_0007 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:26 am
Oh thanks a lot for detailed information.

you mean to say i should apply for fall 2011 ?

ok i agree on it..

so to apply for 2011 batch when i should give GMAT test (around june 2010 ? ==> should book G date in feb 10 ? => when will be 1st round normally ) ?

thanks for reply