Career Goals Essay - How Specific Should I Be?

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
So I am debating two different career goal options, one only slightly different than the other. To give you some background, I have spent the past three years working for an India-focused private equity fund. My two career goal options that I'm considering are as follows:

1) Long term goal of becoming a managing partner at an India-focused private equity firm

2) Long term goal of becoming a managing partner at an emerging markets private equity firm.

My only worry with the first option is that it may be viewed as too limiting to only focus on one country. The second option seems to be a safer goal since i'm not totally tied down to India. On the other hand, I have heard that the more specific you get with your career goals the better, so maybe the first option is better? I am so confused! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:06 pm
The best answer is to put in the one about which you are the most passionate, which will resonate better with the committees. don't try to guess which one will sound better, as the one that will sound better is the one that comes from the heart. being specific is always best since your goal is to stand out and nobody but you has your story to tell, so you can guarantee if you put a personal spin on it, you should be on the road towards differentiation. Don't worry about them thinking you are limiting yourself--if india is where you want to focus post-MBA, then explain why in a compelling way and win them over.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members

by Sophia007 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:45 am
I'd had one more thing to this - please make sure that if you are switching career path - you need to explain the transition phase. The "Why" factor - Why are you thinking of career switch. Why do you think India would be the best location to accomplish your goals (from a professional standpoint).

Secondly, if this is not a career switch, then you need to explain how MBA will help you in your long term career progression and why do you need an MBA to begin with. If you work in India and want to go back to India (and get MBA from some Int'l school) - you need to explain the why factor very accurately. 100,000 people are interested and passionate about what they do. Not every international student gets admitted. Why are you unique as an Indian? They have qouta's for international students - so you are competiting for a very small space.

Thirdly, long term career is great but how do you plan to give back to the educational institution that is going to give you so much!?!

Good Luck with the process. Hope things helps.
Sophia Pathak| Admissions Consultant |

If my post was helpful, let me know by pushing the thanks button.:) Please free to directly email me at [email protected]. ANY questions are welcome! check out what others have to say about their experience with me https://mymbamentor.com/?page_id=31