Low GPA, extenuating circumstances

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:720

Low GPA, extenuating circumstances

by inatlanta » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:08 am
So I have a low GPA in undergrad (2.6). This was at a top 10 university in a tough major (math)

I have done much better in grad school (3.5) and the school is also well regarded, just not as well regarded as my undergraduate institution. I also did well on my GMAT (720)

My main issue is that there were extenuating circumstances for my bad undergraduate GPA. There were serious personal issues outside of my control that are very personal and would be hard to talk about with admissions without either making me uncomfortable or even making them uncomfortable, I don't want pity or anything along those lines.

Basically I do take full responsibility for this poor gpa, during college I took the necessary steps to do better as the semesters progressed and I took advantage of the resources available and I worked hard, I don't want to give excuses, but I also believe that the information provided could be helpful when adcoms are evaluating my profile. How should I handle this?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:81 members

by Stacey Oyler » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:28 pm
Hi inatlanta,

You raise a good question. Often applicants to business school have concerns about their low undergraduate GPA. I usually advise them to explain the reason behind the GPA in a brief optional essay, however, it sounds as though you are not comfortable with this approach. The best thing for you to do in this situation is to write an optional essay explaining that you were undergoing some personal issues during college and that as a result your GPA is less than stellar. You need not elaborate on the personal reasons that impacted your grades. The fact that you had a upward trajectory in your final years and did well in grad school and on your GMAT should help quell any concerns they may have about your academic ability.

If you have additional questions, please feel free to send your resume to [email protected] for a free detailed assessment of your profile.

Best,

Stacey
Sign up for my MBA admissions course, featuring me and other Clear Admit experts, by visiting: https://www.udemy.com/business-school

Stacey Oyler
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.