Profile evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile evaluation

by duk10453 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:15 pm
Hi,

I am going to apply for an MBA program this fall and here is what I have to offer:

I was a freshmen in the American University in Bulgaria, but then I transferred to Suffolk University in Boston where I graduated with 3.62 GPA with major in International Economics and minor in Business (first year didn't do too well had a low GPA 3.2 or something like that trying to adapt, but last to years I've had only 3 B's on the tough courses and everything else A(-)).

I haven't taken the GMAT yet but from what I see on the practice tests I believe i will score 750+ (I scored 800 SAT Math and 700 Verbal)

As for work experience I worked as an associate/accountant for a small restaurant for 2 years during school, and I also worked as an associate/sales in a forex trading company for 9 months during my senior year. I am currently looking for a position in finance but it is very hard to find a good one these days and I will probably be working as a Research Assistant for a professor in investments at the university.

I know the people who will be writing recommendations for me and I'm certain they will be great as they have told me so.

What I believe will help me is that I have started my own business at the age of 22 which is an online store at serving my country all built by myself with my own resources and knowledge and the help of my brother oversees. I am also working on a second one which will be in the outsourcing of software engineering and should be up and running later this year. As you can see I am an entrepreneur in nature.

My list of schools:
Babson College- top choice I love their 1 year MBA.
Boston University
Boston College
Benley
I will also try Kellogg, MIT and HBS but I'm trying to be realistic with my low work experience level.

What do you think? Do I have any chances?
Thank you in advance.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:56 am
While you have already identified your "weak link" (work experience), I would say you have considerable other attributes that make you a potentially competitive candidate. My question to you would be, why are you gunning to go back now? With a couple of years of progressively responsible work experience under your belt, you could potentially have a shot at any number of top tier schools. Having said that, if you have a compelling story for why now is an ideal time to go back, and this story will sway an admissions committee, I would say don't be too daunted by your lack of experience. If you can convince them that your entrepreneurial experience has been substantial enough, you may find yourself in the small percentage of folks who get accepted to top schools without the traditional amount of work experience (every year top programs even take a few students straight out of undergrad--it's rare, but it still happens). Off the top of my head, I would say your undergraduate credentials may not put you in that category, but you never know. The key to your getting a seat this year will be demonstrating in a compelling way why now is better than later to go back to school. If you truly score 750+ on the GMAT, that would definitely help your chances.
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options