Need advise on profile and shortlisting schools

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700
Hi,

I recently retook the GMAT and scored a 700 (Q49, V38). I had previously scored a 670 (Q49 V34).

Profile:

Work Experience:

Senior Consultant at a Big IT Consulting Firm.
(Feb 2007 - Present) (2 years and 4 months)
I have been working with the firm for a little over 2 years. During this time I have worked on supply chain transformation projects in a big pharmaceutical company, a big media and entertainment company, a big telecommunications company and a local gas company. In June 2009, I was promoted to Senior Consultant.

Network Engineer at a Big Telecommunications Company
(June 2006 - Feb 2007) (7 months)
I started working at this firm right out of my Masters. I worked in a purely technical capacity with some work in Project Management.

Academic Adviser at University of Maryland
(November 2004 - May 2006)
This was a part time position that I worked at while I was pursuing a Master of Science degree. I also taught a class for a semester while performing duties as an academic adviser.

Education:

Master of Science in Telecommunications, University of Maryland
College Park, MD
(Aug 2004 - May 2006)
GPA 3.9

Bachelor of Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering
Indraprastha University
New Delhi, India
(Aug 2000 - May2004)
81.1/100 (Not sure about the GPA equivalent)

Activities

- Director of Public Relations for a Student Organization at Maryland
- Event Coordinator at a Local Community Organization

GMAT:

700 (Q49, V38)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I want to pursue an MBA to bridge the gap between technology consulting and pure strategy consulting.

I am considering the following schools:

Harvard University
Stanford University
Chicago - Booth
Columbia University
Duke University
NYU - Stern
UVA - Darden
UCLA - Anderson
Cornell University
University of Maryland - Smith
Georgetown - Mcdonough

Please advise on the profile and targeted schools. I have to decide whether I should take the GMAT again as well before I apply.

Thanks for your help.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:68 members
GMAT Score:750

by Bryant@VeritasPrep » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:05 pm
You seem to have good core qualifications for selection by a top school, and your diverse personal backround and international upbringing sets you apart from the typical applicant. My advice is to always try for the best school you can, but having said that, you will receive a great education and opportunities from any top tier school. Have you had the chance to visit any of the schools? Since you have some strong core traits and could conceivably be competitive as an applicant at any school, it might make sense to see which school feels like a better fit. Also, might help to know where you want to work when you get out and then explore how strong of a network is in place in that area from the schools you are targeting. Since your GMAT is high and you have an advanced degree already, I would make sure to clearly articulate why you need the MBA. Realizing I am an admissions consultant and clearly biased, I would be a poor one indeed if I did not recommend you should at least consider hiring an admissions consultant to help with applications.
Good luck!
Bryant Michaels
MBA Admissions Consultant

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options