Importance of particular undergrad course Grades??

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,

I had a question in regards to the importance of particular undergrad courses with respect to MBA admissions. I've heard that your calculus and economics (macro/micro) undergraduate grades are very important when applying to grad school. Obviously, there is no black and white rule to this as everyone's work experience, majors, gmat scores, etc. are different, but I wanted to know whether scores in these courses are important?

I am planning on applying to a part-time MBA program (aiming to get into USC's part-time program, which I know is competitive) after I get 4-5 years of work experience. My college GPA was a 3.67 (from GWU) and I have yet to take my GMAT's (I will be taking them in September, with an aim of 650+).

In terms of my undergraduate course curriculum, I double majored in International Business and Marketing. While I took various statistical and international related courses (such as International Banking & Managing Developing Countries), my grades in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, and Calculus were my worst grades in college. I scored a B+ in Micro, a C+ in Macro, and a B- in Calculus. In other quantitative courses such as college algebra (B+) financial accounting (A-), managerial accounting (A), Business & Econ Stat (B+), I did relatively well.

Please let me know if these scores would affect a younger applicant, as myself? Should I consider retaking these courses (particularly Macro and Calculus) or is that unnecessary?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:30 pm
Your quant capabilities are definitely considered as a part of your application package. Admission committees want to know that you can handle MBA-level quant courses. Your A/B classes are fine however you may want to retake Macro especially if your GMAT quant score isn't strong.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options