Latino American MBA Prospect

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Latino American MBA Prospect

by jbalance21 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:39 am
Hello. I'm new to this forum and I would appreciate some advice on my chances of getting into a good MBA program. Here are the basics:

GMAT Score: 650
I am finishing up my last semester in college, but so far this has been my GPA Overall G.P.A.: 3.5 (Last 60 credits: 3.9)
I will be graduated with an B.S. in Sociology from a well respected private university.

I would like to note that my transcripts show progression. I went for one year to a community college (GPA 3.0) and then transferred to a four year state university (GPA 3.5) and then transferred to a better school where my GPA is 3.9

Extracurricular Activity:
Served a 2 year full time voluntary mission for my church in which there was no pay. I spent time sharing my beliefs with individuals and families. For the second half of my mission I had leadership experience where I supervised a geographical zone of 30 missionaries in which responsibilities included motivating them and training them on how to be more effective in their teaching and finding efforts. I also had to collect statistical reports once a week.

Other EC activities include other church service post mission which includes:
*Member of church basketball team
*Coach of church youth basketball team
*Youth Leader for Church (responsibilities include planning youth activities, integrating Boy Scouts of America program, counseling and mentoring youth)
*Bishop's 1st Counselor (reponsibilities include overseeing the music program in church activities, planning church activities such as picnics etc., planning Church Sunday program including planning topics and assigning speakers, overseeing the spiritual welfare of youth and single adults, overseeing Church Sunday School such as making sure we have enough classes and teachers for our congregation.)

As you can see a lot of my extra time has been involved in church service. I am also bilingual and very proficient in speaking, reading, writing, and translating from english to spanish and vice-versca. Other EC activities include creating graphic design material for non profit organizations.

Work Experience:
This is where I have a bit of a concern. I got married and became a happy father while still in college. That being said, I have had to work full time (40 hours) and go to school part time (2 classes per semester) in order to support my family (my wife is finishing up her degree in Chemistry). However, my work experience has been very good. For obvious reasons (I haven't graduated yet) it hasn't been with any Fortune 500 companies, but the quality of work experience has been excellent. Here it is:

Assistant Marketing Manager
*Supervised training, scheduling, hiring, and firing of canvassers and telemarketers. Coordinated efforts with marketing manager on ways to increase quality and quantity of leads which lead our office to go from $60,000 sales/month to $100,000 sales/month. This led to opening another office which I helped supervise. I also worked closely with sales reps in assigning their apointments.

*Left on my mission for 2 years (see extracurricular activities)*

Assistant Marketing Manager
*Prepared, designed, proofread, and edited marketing material including sales and marketing tools. Highly involved in phone prospecting new business including generating sales leads from small businesses, institutions, and corporations. After about a year became the Marketing Manager and became more involved with coordinating marketing campaigns, strategies, as well as the branding of new products. I also became involved in presenting sales presentation to potential clients

Marketing Manager
*For better pay, I went to a different company and worked closely with the marketing director on developing branding and image of a new line of products. We also worked on new marketing campaigns and strategies. I also worked closely with the sales manager on developing new sales tools and promotional material. I supervised the reconstruction of the corporate website.

I just wanted some insight on how I look on paper. I also wanted to address my concern about my work experience being during college because of what I mentioned. I suppose I should also state that I'm young (25 years old). I want to know if its possible for me to get into an MBA program fresh off graduating with my undergrad degree.

Any input would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by jbalance21 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:58 am
I just realized I posted this in the wrong section, so I am reposting it in the appropriate forum. My apologies to the administrator and to anyone else this may have inconvenienced.