640 today and applying for HBS 2+2. retake the GMAT?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi guys,

I have scored today 640 (Q43 V34) and I am going to apply for HBS 2+2 program. Should I retake it?
i have also another question: Is it true that B-schools look for diversity in its applicants?

by kapitalist » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:41 am
Not to be rude or insulting but I dont think that score will get you into hbs unless you have some other outstanding information regarding your background....like your an African midget that fled a worn torn area on a life raft with 2 holes while battling a rare sickness only to survive and overcome. Then you might get in to HBS with that score.

Again, I am not saying this to be mean, but you have to be realistic. Now, with ALL the wallstreet layoffs going on, competition for an mba has intensified. There will easily be more candidates with 700+ scores not getting into HBS because the pool's average will increase dramatically.

Now, if you do get in...CONGRATS!!!, if not, brush it off your shoulder and try again. The test cost $250 every time you take it but its NOTHING compared to the salary, connections, lifestyle, prestige, and opportunities you will have graduating from a top school like that.

I leave you with one of my favorite quotes-

A calm sea never made a skilled mariner
-(dont remember who said it, lol)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:33 pm
From the HBS website: The Admissions Board hopes that all applicants will recognize the following: the full range of GMAT scores is very broad, that there is no "minimum" score requirement, and that the GMAT is just one piece of data among the many used to evaluate an application. 50% of the Class of 2009 scored between 700 and 740 on the GMAT.

A 640 is not necessarily a deal breaker however it does mean that the rest of your application needs to be exceptionally strong. Therefore you should have a high GPA, strong LORs, and well written essays.

Business schools do seek diversity within MBA classes so that students can learn from the experiences of others in addition to what they learn in the classroom. It helps if you have a unique background and/or skill set however you still need to be a strong, qualified candidate.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by pJackson79 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:43 pm
A good friend of mine applied to HBS straight from U-grad with EXCELLENT outside credentials and GPA. He scored a 650 and did not get in. I honestly think you need to retake in order to get a chance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:05 pm
pJackson79 wrote:A good friend of mine applied to HBS straight from U-grad with EXCELLENT outside credentials and GPA. He scored a 650 and did not get in. I honestly think you need to retake in order to get a chance.
Well it depends what you call as "excellent" but I am sure an exceptional profile + 650 = Harvard

But most of the people who apply to Harvard have significant backgrounds and a GMAT score that falls on the "mean" will help you to be in the same boat with others.
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

by 2+2 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:47 am
thanks for your replies. I´m going to retake the GMAT in June and I hope to raise my score then. Can you recommend me a book to improve the sentence correction section? it is clearly my weakest point since English is not my first language.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:28 pm
For what it's worth, I had a student with a 650 get into HBS. I'm not sure about the rest of his application, but you certainly won't be summarily tossed out with a 650! Is a 700 better? Of course... but if your application is otherwise very strong, 650 could do the trick.

As for SC, there's no magic bullet. Get the Official Guide and work the problems. When you do a problem, make sure you:

1. Know what grammatical error type that question is testing,
2. Find some sort of "takeaway" or rule from every problem, and
3. Know why every wrong answer choice is wrong (this is very important).

Good luck!
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

try manhattan gmat sentence correction

by jgalapatt » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:52 pm
try manhattan gmat sentence correction.It is helping me.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by OJS » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:27 am
Hey,

I'm also applying for HBS 2+2. Did my first GMAT today, and scored a 690.

You have more than enough time to retake, so if you realistically think you can improve then I don't see why not - $250 is miniscule compared to the $150k we'll be dishing out in three years' time ;)

I'm retaking mine in June anyway - I'm fairly confident I can improve as I did a grand total of two hours prep for this one.

Best of luck!