what are my chances of getting into NYU part-time? HELP!!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
I know this maybe borderline off topic, but I want to get into NYU's part-time program.
i got 670 48q 34v today.

i work as a librarian for 1 year now, and possibly being promoted to supervisor soon. (pending review) I serve on various committees that directly impact the library policies. (the library is one of the largest in the country by size, population it serves, number of branches, and budget)

my undergrad gpa sucked, but it got better and better, eventually in the mid and high 3s for the last 2 years with a math and a physics degree. my masters degree in library science i had a 3.75 gpa.

I was wondering if I should retake to try to get a 700 or you think I outta be ok getting into stern's part time program? Although I gotta say, I normally get 44q 38v around 650 on my practices. I've never gotten as high as 48 on quant, but I've gotten 34 on verbal here and there in my practice.

p.s. it's either NYU or not doing this mba thing at all for me.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:12 am
B - Its hard to assess your candidacy based on your GMAT and GPA, as much of the decision is based on factors such as your essay, LORs, interview, etc. That said, I think it might be difficult to get into a top part-time program with only one year of experience.

Regards,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by bobular » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:42 am
thanks for replying.
I was just not sure so I had to ask. A friend of mine got a 720 on the GMAT, and somehow got into NYU part-time with less than 6 months of worth experience! I knew that's not the norm, so I had to ask around and see what are my chances.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:46 pm
Yeah, that does sound rare - esp since the average work experience of part-time programs (for top 25 schools) is usually higher than full-time programs. Doesnt hurt to ask him or NYU AdCom directly to get a second opinion.

Good luck,

N
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep

by bobular » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:22 am
haha i'd love to ask him personally if he didnt cheat on my wife's best friend and is asking for a divorce just moments ago. Guess I gotta seek out advice elsewhere.