Essays-examples within past 3 years, how strict?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Essays-examples within past 3 years, how strict?

by LKR » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:39 am
I have a topic that I would really like to use for a leadership example. It is from my Teach for America experience from 2003-2005 and the essay prompt says 'only experiences from last 3 years'. Strictly speaking the actual examples in the classroom are from over 3 years ago, but this is a defining leadership example for me, it captures who I am, how I use these lessons now and I'd really like to include it. Is this a NO GO? Or, could I get away with it? Perhaps I could address the fact that I stretched the rules in the 'extra essay' space?

I would appreciate any feedback

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:14 pm
Dear LKR,

Most schools do not specify a time requirement, but since this school does, I think you should follow it. When a school explicitly gives a direction and you do not follow it, the admissions people will view that negatively and might even conclude you have poor judgment. I understand that your TFA experience is probably the best example, so you might contact the admission office and inquire as to how strict they are on the "3 year" guideline. They might tell you not to worry about it, but they might say it is very important. Better to know the answer than make an assumption.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me