Profile Evaluation, please help

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation, please help

by nigelbabu » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:57 pm
Hi

I'm kinda new to this site. I am currently pursuing Bachelor of Computer Applications from IGNOU in india. I plan to finish Masters in Computer Applications and then work for 2 or 3 years and go for buisness school. My Bachelors (and most probably Masters) is via distancd education method. Will it hurt my chances? I'm currently working as a medical transcriptionist. Will this work experience of around 6 years help me? Is my profile good enough to obtain admission in a good university. I have my sights set on UBC Sauder. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

Nigel
Don't worry if your job is small, and your rewards are few. Remember that the mighty Oak, was once a nut like you

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by Jay Allen » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:30 am
Nigel,

Thanks for your post. You have two big hurdles to overcome in your application: leadership and general management perspective.

For leadership, you need to show that you can manage people. If this won't occur in your work, than make sure you have great example from the rest of your life. Rise to a leadership level in a local non-profit or start your own.

For General management perspective, you need to convince the adcomm that you already think like a CEO but don't have the right tools. Make sure you are engaging in the business side of your current profession by doing extra projects that you can then speak to extensively in your application.

Best of luck!

Jay

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by nigelbabu » Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:09 am
Thanks a lot Jay for the reply. I will be working on what you have suggested
Don't worry if your job is small, and your rewards are few. Remember that the mighty Oak, was once a nut like you