School Selection...

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:700

School Selection...

by anshul.iitg » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:06 am
Hi,

I have done my BTech in Electronics Engineering from IIT Guwahati (one of the most reputed colleges in India). I am having a good academic record with a CPI of 9 out of 10(Department Rank 3). I have been working as a Design Engineer at NVIDIA Graphics (famous chip design company) in Bangalore for the past 2 years. I will have complete 3 years experience by next year. My GMAT score is 700 (51 Q, 34 V, 5 AWA). Also i am member of the rotary club and have done some community service.

I am aiming for entrepreneurship in future (with some couple of years of experience after my MBA)

Can you please suggest that which colleges can i aim at in United States.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:33 am
Many of the schools on the West Coast (UCLA, UC Berkley, Stanford) have a strong entrepreneurial focus. However, competition is stiff this year so the more detailed you are about your post-MBA plans, the better. Individuals from India with IT backgrounds make up a large percentage of the applicant pool so be sure to identify unique characteristics about yourself in your application.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

School Selection

by anshul.iitg » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:12 am
What exactly are the unique characteristics that need to be highlighted ?
What about Kellogs ,GSB Chicago and Darden, Virginia?
Does my profile suitable for them?

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:50 pm
Unique characteristics can be anything that makes you seem interesting or shows that you will add a different perspective to the class. You can highlight unique work experiences, skillsets, hobbies, community involvement, etc. You want to market yourself as a well rounded and interesting individual not just another person with great grades and a strong GMAT score. The schools you mentioned all seem reasonable however when considering your choices you should take into account whether the school's areas of focus support your post-MBA plans and also whether the school is a good "fit" for you.
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options

Uniqueness

by anshul.iitg » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:08 pm
Most of my job had been on the technical side only but i have lead a team of 4 people and was a mentor of some of them. I have global working experience. I work in close contact with people around the globe like US and Taiwan. I have traveled to US twice before.

I have a hobby of teaching and talking to people. Since my college days i have held many counseling sessions for my juniors about their problems related to career and academics. Also i have been part of lot of organizations involved in community service.

Will all this be counted unique or do i need to think more to distinguish myself.

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:07 am
Sure. Also, try to highlight any leadership aspects of your activities outside of work (mentoring and teaching are important, too). Essentially, you need to show that you are well-rounded. Being involved in non-technical extracurriculars is definitely helpful.
Veritas Prep

leadership

by anshul.iitg » Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:38 am
Can you please explain that what the schools look for in terms of leadership ? I would be very greatful if you can tell through examples...

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:08 pm
Give specific examples of how you have demonstrated leadership. You can included instances where you have provided others with direction, shown initiative, and managed difficult situations. Your examples can be professional, personal, or academic (unless the question specifically asks for a certain scenario).
Veritas Prep