Profile Eval Request

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Eval Request

by TopMBAHopeful26 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:29 am
Hello! I'm hoping to get input on my MBA application strength. Below are my stats:

GMAT: 720 48Q/41V

GPA: 3.95 from Top 20 undergrad business school. Top 1% of class

Work experience: 5 years @ matriculation. 2+ years in Big 4 transaction services practice. Currently working at large private equity shop working in valuation/strategy group.

Certifications: CFA, completed all 3 levels on first attempt

Some volunteer experience

Solid recommendations

Target schools:
Harvard
MIT
Dartmouth
Duke

Harvard and MIT are by far my top 2 choices, but trying to gauge how realistic these are.

Thanks so much for the help!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:40 am
Very impressive numbers! Top business schools will love your GMAT, GPA, CFA and professional experience.
Now, what makes an applicant "Harvard-y"? Leadership, leadership, leadership.

Your leadership/impact history was not clear to me in the information you presented here, so it might be good to start thinking in this direction. Successful HBS applicants typically have a balance of awesome numbers, powerful professional experience, AND some significant, major community leadership roles. Sometimes this comes up more in university, sometimes it's an ongoing involvement that applicants pursue in parallel with their career. But we definitely need to see leadership and impact -- we need to see the people in your story.

For HBS, we also would like to see where you're headed. What will you do in the world, how will your leadership make an impact? What are you passionate about?

So, to summarize: in terms of stats, you're on the HBS dartboard. But in terms of leadership and impact, I would need more information. Hope this helps you get the ball rolling, for a start.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me