Profile assessment

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile assessment

by binsb » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:37 am
Hello,

I would kindly ask for an assessment of my profile.

GMAT score 780, Q51, V46, IR-7
GPA 4.0 - computer science, graduated as the best student of my generation at a relatively unknown University in Southeastern Europe
Career summary:
- 6 months as a research assistant at the University I graduated from
- 1.5 years as a software developer
- 4.5 years in Deloitte Consulting - Business analyst, Consultant, Senior Consultant, Manager
- 1 year in PWC Consulting as a Manager
- last 2.5 years as a Senior Manager in a telecom in the Middle East
33 years old
Very little extracurricular activities

I plan to get back to consulting after MBA, preferably strategy consulting.
My preferred schools are INSEAD, LBS and IMD, I am looking for a 1 year program that places a significant proportion of students in consulting

As I see it my strengths are gmat, gpa, international experience, career advancement, and my weaknesses are age, changing jobs and lack of extracurricular activities

Thanks in advance!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members

by MargaretStrother » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:15 pm
Well, you certainly have a clear sense of your strengths and weaknesses -- I'm impressed! Top MBA programs will be attracted to those numbers and your strong professional experience. However, you're right to guess that this may be a problem for you as well. For European schools, I don't worry so much about community service, although given your age you will need to address the issue of "fit": how will you fit in with a somewhat younger crowd, especially in a highly social school like INSEAD? What can we learn about your personality through your application that will help b-schools envision you as a member of the group?
Most important for you, I think, will be clear goals: why do you need a full-time MBA at this point in your career? You'll want to show that you know clearly what you're doing this for, and precisely what each school you're considering might offer you.
You might also consider one-year US programs such as the Columbia J-Term; they often accept a broader age group, and your GMAT and GPA will bowl them over.But I would place emphasis on defining your goals and making sure you can explain coherently and convincingly why a full-time MBA is right for you at this stage in your career.

Good luck!
Margaret Strother
Margaret Strother
Senior Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me