Veritas Session - land erodes

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730

by coderversion1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:32 am
Question Type: Identified as "Must be true"
Fact1: Rate of erosion of 'plowed land' is greater than its rebuilding.
Fact2: Cause and Effect - Continually Cultivated land (Assumed to be continually plowed) will become exhausted. True: If 'till' agriculture practiced False: if 'No-Till' agriculture practiced.
Fact3: Explanation of No-Till and its practiced only by(in) 16%.

With these facts in mind lets see each answer choice:

A. No mention in Premises that No-Till agriculture is costly,(Hence affordable to wealthy only). Reject this.
B. May be (May be because it uses too strong language) but still a contender as it states a 'may be' 'probable' conclusion to the facts.
C. Although it feels simple that soil erosion may lead to decrease in fodder for dairy and poultry animals, its relation has not been mentioned in the premises. Also It's opposite of what can be the possible implication of soil erosion(decrease of fodder). Reject this.
D. It is highly irrelevant. Reject.
E. This goes few steps ahead of the premises. While premises only stated: Erosion more than rebuild, of plowed land > So 'till' agriculture will cause erosion > Majority practices 'till' agriculture. Next steps: As majority uses 'till' agriculture it will cause soil erosion > Majority of soil will get eroded > So this is a problem(assuming all land of US will get eroded, assuming all land is being cultivated or will be cultivated) > [Now the Answer comes into picture] it states Hypo**** farming will solve this problem. As lots of assumptions not mentioned in premise, its a no. Reject.

[spoiler]Best option seems to be (B).[/spoiler]
Last edited by coderversion1 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

GMAT Score:730

by coderversion1 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:37 am
NA
Last edited by coderversion1 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

by olegpoi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:44 am
Looks like paradox question type. If it is I choose A.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:13 pm
olegpoi -

It is not a paradox question. It is an inference question. The OA is B. Please see the discussion above for details and feel free to ask any question that you might still have.

David
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by Deependra1 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:55 am
Answer: D?

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members

by navami » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:46 pm
The passage says : " continually cultivated soil will become exhausted in the space of several hundred years"
Option B says : (B) If the United States does not utilize means that replenish or reuse exhausted soil, it must eventually ! nd other ways of getting agricultural products.

The main passage says Cultivatd soil will become exhausted. In the passage it nowhere says that the cultivated soil is the only cultivable soil!!!!!!!

How do we know that the soil underneath is not fertile (CONSIDERING WE ARE NOT APPLYING OUR SCIENTIFIC BRAIN :))

Experts please... help me out with this doubt!
This time no looking back!!!
Navami

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by prashant misra » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:38 pm
the official answer is B

Followed by:2 members

by parul9 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:08 am
Brian@VeritasPrep wrote:Hey paes,

I think you're right with what you wrote...but in doing so you omitted what is probably the most important part of answer choice B.

The correct answer in Inference ("find the conclusion") questions MUST BE TRUE. One way that the GMAT can accomplish this logical certainty is by offering an if/then statement that involves complementary events (one of them must happen).

Consider this example:

"If I apply to Harvard Business School and am not rejected or waitlisted, I must be admitted to HBS."

This sentence does not simply say "I must be admitted to HBS" (as lovely a sentiment as that would be). It qualifies it by saying "unless the other two possible outcomes happen, the third will". That statement, then, must be true - if only three things can happen, and the statement qualifies the other two, then it's true.

Answer choice B in this sentence does essentially the same thing:

If the U.S. does not find ways to replenish the soil (which we know from the passage is eroding faster than it builds up) it must eventually find new ways of getting agricultural products.

That essentially says: the soil is eroding faster than it builds up, so unless we can reverse that trend, the soil will be gone eventually and the current soil-based methods of agriculture will no longer work.

That's true.

When an answer must be true, look for sentences that are all-encompassing like this one and therefore ensure their own logical certainty. For another good example, you may want to view this post:

Question: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/06/ ... nd-algebra

Solution: https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/06/ ... d-geometry[/list]
Isn't the tone of B too strong? Unlike the tone of the argument?

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:59 am
Why consider tone in an inference question? The correct answer to an inference question is one that must be true. The four incorrect answers are those that could be false. It is the SCOPE that matters, not really the tone.

No doubt you are saying that the answer choice seems more definite than the stimulus. However, there are two ways to get to this as the correct answer. The first way is to eliminate the other 4. They all fall into two categories that can be eliminated immediately, they are beyond the scope and/or predictions. So that leaves you with B.

Secondly, although Choice B seems like a prediction, it is really just listing the possibilities. I call this "covering all the bases" and so long as you have covered the bases then the answer must be true.

For example, saying "the coin will land on heads" is a prediction and can be eliminated. But "the coin will land on heads or tails or neither or it will not be flipped." That is a must be true because it covers everything.

Focus on the scope of the stimulus for inference questions. Think of tone more for reading comprehension.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by asgupta2k » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:54 am
(A) is the answer as it explains why no-till farming is not used by American farmers.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:48 pm
asgupta2k -

You have answered the wrong type of question. This question does not ask you to "explain" things. It asks you for what "Must Be True."

Answer Choice A is not "must be true" because it speaks of something (the cost of no-till agriculture) that is not mentioned in the stimulus. For this type of question you are not looking for something completely new like this. You are looking for something that is proven true by the premises or sort of proves itself true (like choice B).

Veritas Prep Reviews

by SmarpanGamt » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:28 am
I have a doubt

In real GMAT senario , the question stem will be

1. If the above statement is true , Which of the following is best supported by the information above?

OR

2 .If the below statements are true , Which of the following is best supported by the information above?

I believe in Position 1 , the OA could be B , Since no other / external information is allowed to support the argument. ( Inferences problem )

And in the case of Position 2 , the OA should be A

Explanation : Since the conclusion states that only 16% of US Farmers are using No-till agriculture , an additional info of no-till agriculture availability to wealthy farmers, such methods are financially impractical for many American farmers , supports the argument.

Please suggest this reasoning.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:27 am
SmarpanGamt wrote:
I have a doubt

1. If the above statement is true , Which of the following is best supported by the information above?

OR

2 .If the below statements are true , Which of the following is best supported by the information above?

I believe in Position 1 , the OA could be B , Since no other / external information is allowed to support the argument. ( Inferences problem )

SmarpanGamt - you are saying that so long as this is an inference question that B is correct. But you do not feel that it is easy to identify that it is an inference question from the stem.

Your first formulation is ONE possible way to say that you have an inference question. In fact, on the GMAT the most common way to recognize the inference question is the phrase "Which of the following conclusions..."

Look through the Official Guide and see that this is true.

As for this particular question, originally it said,
"Which of the following conclusions is best supported by the information above?"

We took out the word "conclusion" in order to help students practice identifying the tougher stems.

There is another reason that this question cannot be a strengthen -- it has no conclusion in the stimulus!!

Re-read this stimulus. It is called a "set of facts" because there is no conclusion, just several premises. When you find that a stimulus has no conclusion it cannot be a strengthen or weaken but it can be an inference.

SmarpanGamt - what you cite as the conclusion is only another premise. It is stated in the stimulus that 16% use no- till. But if you use the "why?" test you will find that this cannot be the conclusion because there is no premise that is supporting it. What I mean is ask "why do only 16% use no-till?" There is nothing in the stimulus to answer this. When something is simply stated as a fact and does not rely on any other premise it is not a conclusion.

Veritas Prep Reviews

by SmarpanGamt » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:58 am
Thanks @David@VeritasPrep

Yes I made a blunder that this question is set of facts and does not hold any argumentative structure.
I got the point .Thank you

David@VeritasPrep wrote:
SmarpanGamt wrote:
I have a doubt

OR

SmarpanGamt - you are saying that so long as this is an inference question that B is correct. But you do not feel that it is easy to identify that it is an inference question from the stem.

Your first formulation is ONE possible way to say that you have an inference question. In fact, on the GMAT the most common way to recognize the inference question is the phrase "Which of the following conclusions..."

Look through the Official Guide and see that this is true.

As for this particular question, originally it said,
"Which of the following conclusions is best supported by the information above?"

We took out the word "conclusion" in order to help students practice identifying the tougher stems.

There is another reason that this question cannot be a strengthen -- it has no conclusion in the stimulus!!

Re-read this stimulus. It is called a "set of facts" because there is no conclusion, just several premises. When you find that a stimulus has no conclusion it cannot be a strengthen or weaken but it can be an inference.

SmarpanGamt - what you cite as the conclusion is only another premise. It is stated in the stimulus that 16% use no- till. But if you use the "why?" test you will find that this cannot be the conclusion because there is no premise that is supporting it. What I mean is ask "why do only 16% use no-till?" There is nothing in the stimulus to answer this. When something is simply stated as a fact and does not rely on any other premise it is not a conclusion.

GMAT Instructor

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:16 pm
Smarpan -

Hope I was not too enthusiastic in my reply!

I try to be thorough since someone else reading probably has the same question that you asked.

Veritas Prep Reviews