Toughest question in OG

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by russ9 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:10 pm
divineacclivity wrote: Great explanation!
I just have one doubt here and that is:
Consider the following sentences:
A pen is for writing - CORRECT
I picked up the pen (in order) to write - CORRECT
I picked up the pen for writing - INCORRECT

for - specifies the purpose of an object and "in order to" specifies purpose of an action.

So, D choice also uses ".. for not anticipating the impact .." - wouldn't this be wrong? If not, are my above examples wrong? If they are, pls explain why. Thank you.

- Divine
This is interesting and i'm struggling with the same thing -

I picked up the pen "to" writing is also INCORRECT. So how do we justify the for/to fiasco here?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by \'manpreet singh » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:17 am
rx_11 wrote:57. That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault(Awkward and unclear and use of "it" is ambiguous)
(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault(a subject seems to be missing before " can hardly....." this causes confusion)
(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology)(Again "it" looks ambigous and clearity is not there)
(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of micro... and (clearly explains meaning)
(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly(Awkward and non sensical)

OA is D

So difficult this question that I can't choose from A B D E.

A:what if I change 'that it is their fault' to 'to be their fault'?
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be their fault

B:why this one is wrong? Is 'at fault' wrong? Then why at fault in D is correct?

E:1.The fact that educators are at fault for doing......change the original meaning.
2. The subordinate clause 'The fact.....' is too long...

Anyone can help me why A and B is wrong? And plz say something about my interpretations... Thanks so much!