This is really discouraging (practice tests)

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by analyst1 » Tue May 04, 2010 3:39 pm
money9111 wrote:
analyst1 wrote:
money9111 wrote:Take a break... take a looong break... especially if you don't have your exam scheduled yet. You need to clear your head. I had the same study regimen as you and I my scores decreased too. My verbal score has gotten better but Quant has gone down.. and that's my strong point. Since my exam is Saturday, I'm not taking any more practice tests because I'll get discouraged. All I'm doing from now until Saturday is reading through all of the answers in the MGMAT guides and the OG. That'll joggle my memory back to where it was. For instance on my last practice exam I got a question wrong about the difference of 2 squares. Really? That's like one of the easiest things to do... so yeah... clear your head...
I know I shouldn't let these scores get the best of me, but when your scores are progressively getting worse while your knowledge is increasing, its disheartening. One thing I realized is for some reason, could be the nervousness of the test but I pretty much forget most of the general rules in the first few questions of each section (mind going blank of sorts).

My friend, I wish I could take a long break. My exam is next week and I can't postpone it (I've already done that once before).
I don't think you understand how similar your story is to mine. It's as if I'm talking to myself lol. I'm scoring now on practice exams what I scored before my MGMAT class back in January and in some cases I've scored lower. So believe me... I definitely feel your pain. Of course my knowledge and understanding has increased so yes.. it's very disheartening. My exam is this Saturday so it's too late for me to reschedule. I did the best on exams when I was the calmest, so that's what I'm focusing on right now. I'm not putting any more pressure on myself about this exam. I think that was my demise. All I can do now is know what I know... and do the best I can. I know I'm going to retake the exam so... hey I'll retake it and do better.

Don't get down on yourself... it's just a test!
LOL...your right, I'm scoring lower now than what I did in my diagnostics test. My exam is next week, so really I'm not that far off from where you are at right now. I've come to the conclusion that sometimes whatever happens, happens and am resigned to the fact that all I can do at this point is review all the material and finish off the OG12 practice questions. I'm planning on completing the 2nd GMAT Prep exam on Sunday. That should give me a barometer of what I should be expecting next week come the test.

That's exactly it...it's a test. Its unfortunate that a huge chunk of your application comes down to a single test but it is what it is, and you have to just give it your all.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by LoveTheGMAT » Tue May 04, 2010 5:18 pm
Ok, so depending when your application is due, you might be able to shift the test date. I know you don't want to. Will this be your first time writing it? If yes, go ahead and write it and get the experience. It will give you an idea where you really are - practice CATs are not exact predictor.

If this is not your first time writing, then you might want to be careful and the schools might not like that you re-wrote several times.

Goodluck!

by analyst1 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:12 pm
LoveTheGMAT wrote:Ok, so depending when your application is due, you might be able to shift the test date. I know you don't want to. Will this be your first time writing it? If yes, go ahead and write it and get the experience. It will give you an idea where you really are - practice CATs are not exact predictor.

If this is not your first time writing, then you might want to be careful and the schools might not like that you re-wrote several times.

Goodluck!
Yes, this would be my first (and hopefully last) test.

by analyst1 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:00 am
The test is now 1 week away. I'm planning on writing my final GMAT Prep exam tomorrow. With all that being said, I have not spent 1 minute reviewing the AWA essays. I want to know how much time I should allocate for it in the final 5-6 days?

Any suggestions?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by LoveTheGMAT » Sat May 08, 2010 11:21 am
Have you written AWA before? They are not that bad really. I didn't even write 1 AWA before my test 1st time and got 5.0. And I am not a great writer, just avg. But it depends on how your writing skills are.
Make sure you write AWA in final GMATPrep test!

Your assessment report you shared earlier shows you are almost equally split. So I would spent 35% on Quant, 35% on Verbal, 5% on AWA and then 25% on final review of Quant and Verbal

Goodluck! I hope you do well

by analyst1 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:31 pm
LoveTheGMAT wrote:Have you written AWA before? They are not that bad really. I didn't even write 1 AWA before my test 1st time and got 5.0. And I am not a great writer, just avg. But it depends on how your writing skills are.
Make sure you write AWA in final GMATPrep test!

Your assessment report you shared earlier shows you are almost equally split. So I would spent 35% on Quant, 35% on Verbal, 5% on AWA and then 25% on final review of Quant and Verbal

Goodluck! I hope you do well
Does the GMATPrep Test score the AWA essays?

by analyst1 » Sun May 09, 2010 10:40 am
I just completed my last Practice exam and scored a 510 (Q35 V25). I won't be doing any more practice exams until my real exam later this week. I don't know what it is but my scores have progressively gotten worse. I think if anything I must improve my timing with Verbal as I'm really starting to press in the last 10 minutes.

Is this an indicator of what I will get on my the real GMAT?

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Migelito » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:56 pm
analyst1 wrote:I just completed my last Practice exam and scored a 510 (Q35 V25). I won't be doing any more practice exams until my real exam later this week. I don't know what it is but my scores have progressively gotten worse. I think if anything I must improve my timing with Verbal as I'm really starting to press in the last 10 minutes.

Is this an indicator of what I will get on my the real GMAT?
Seems like "yes it is".

analist1, what is the result?