The story of 750: Studying for GMAT and learning about life

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Andras P. » Thu May 19, 2016 3:41 am
prada wrote:
Andras P. wrote:@prada

There are different study plans at Magoosh. The advanced one is supposed to help you to get over 700 and it is 3 months long. The newest plan, which I followed last year from August to November, would be perfect for somebody who is already very close to 700, but wants to get to around 750. I was lucky because Magoosh switched from the old to this new plan when I was getting closer to take the GMAT in August last year. That test did not go as planned, and I was able to continue my preparation for another 3 months with the new plan. Both of these versions are supposed to be for students who can score mid 600 comfortably and want to get over 700. In my opinion, the old version does just that, but the newer 3-month schedule is for people who are very close to 700. Magoosh increased the yearly price from $99 to $199, but I believe it is still worth the money. It is a very good schedule and uses the best materials. The general MGMAT books, the MGMAT advanced quant book, the LSAT book, the official question banks and tests, and the Magoosh question bank are enough if you want get a 50Q and above 40V.
I hope my response helps!

Cheers,
Andras
Ohhh? I was under the impression that those predetermined plans were just an abridged version of the whole site. What I mean is that I just viewed every single video and answered every single question, flagging the ones I got wrong to redo and study them. Im assuming that those study plans just select the advanced videos and questions from the totality? Or are they totally different?

Right now Im in the 600-650 range and my goal hopefully is to get into the 650-700 range. I would be very happy. So I'm considering another online prep because Im almost there. Ive also IDed my problem areas which are WORD PROBLEMS, ALGEBRA and to a lesser extent INTEGER PROP, PROBILITIES, COMBO. Id consider a tutor but I learn better on my own plus the insane prices doesn't justify it when I could still keep pushing to milk out that last 30-40 points I need.
The Magoosh 3-month plan that was introduced last summer does not include any tutorial videos or the MGMAT books. That is why this plan is better for people who are already very close to 700. The old 3-month plan included some tutorial videos and all of the MGMAT books; however, this new plan focuses more on practicing (very) challenging problems. I did add some practice problems to both the old and new versions when I prepared for the GMAT last year, so I ended up solving about 4000 and 6000 problems, respectively.

I prefer to do things on my own, so Magoosh was perfect for me. It was also affordable. I still included videos into my prep if I was not certain about something while following the new plan, but I mostly focused on getting better at solving problems.

You have to choose a plan that works for you, but I only did these two plans from Magoosh, and I am not familiar with other prep courses or programs. If you have not had any experience with Magoosh and you are worried that it cannot get you to 700 and above, don't be because it can get you there. However, you might need to adjust things as you progress just as I did by including the MGMAT Advanced Quant book to the old plan and doing extra practice tests from Veritas while following the new plan. I also bought every single official problem and practice test from mba.com because they are the closest thing to the real test.