[770 Q51 V44 AWA 6.0] Thank you BTG!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:10 members
GMAT Score:770

by albatross86 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:59 am
gmatrix wrote:hmmmm........kind of OT...but what would be the score if the break-up is Q 44,V 51.....and yeah i realize V51 is an extreme rarity.
I have heard that a proportionally high verbal raw score produces a slightly higher overall scaled score. Seems like the GMAT favors a higher verbal raw, but this has to do with the fact that a 51 in quant and a 44 in verbal are both at about the same 98th percentile. So a 51 in verbal, which is absolutely outstanding, would probably push you higher up. But also, a 44 in quant is quite average as far as I know, so this may balance out.

I think 800score.com has a raw to scaled score converter you could try.
~Abhay

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it. -- Andre Gide

by gmatrix » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:31 am
I have heard that a proportionally high verbal raw score produces a slightly higher overall scaled score. Seems like the GMAT favors a higher verbal raw, but this has to do with the fact that a 51 in quant and a 44 in verbal are both at about the same 98th percentile. So a 51 in verbal, which is absolutely outstanding, would probably push you higher up. But also, a 44 in quant is quite average as far as I know, so this may balance out.

I think 800score.com has a raw to scaled score converter you could try.
thanks ..... this was what made me wonder about the verbal heavy split
https://www.gmatpill.com/the-gmat-pill-m ... -strategy/
Life is all about ass; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

Community Manager
Followed by:252 members

by papgust » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:14 pm
Abhay,

Would you mind briefing your verbal preparation in detail and suggesting verbal preparation tips to non-native speakers?
Download GMAT Math and CR questions with Solutions from Instructors and High-scorers:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/download-gma ... 59366.html

-----------

GO GREEN..! GO VEG..!

Daily Quote:
"Stop feeling sorry for the Butcher if you had to go Veg. The butcher can find another job but the poor animal cannot get back its life"

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by sv77 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:05 pm
Hi Abhay,

Congratz for the great score and best of luck for your application.. I have a question.. did you use 1000 SC,CR and RC docs for your verbal prep..

Thanks..

by albatross86 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:32 am
papgust wrote:Abhay,

Would you mind briefing your verbal preparation in detail and suggesting verbal preparation tips to non-native speakers?
My preparation was not structured enough to put down as an exhaustive guide, and I'm sure most of the resources I used are pretty mainstream and well-known. However I will mention a few things to keep in mind to ensure that you are approaching the verbal section with the right attitude.

CR: You could practice a 1000 questions without really taking away what you could have from a 100. Analyze the LOGIC behind each answer, and do not let it go until you are certain you completely understand why the answer is the answer. You need to think like a test-maker, constantly questioning logical leaps and bridging between the premise and conclusion. Assumptions and inferences are the crux of the entire CR section, if you can see through the typical trap answers and get down to wearing "GMAT-blinders" you will win the race.

RC: I've received a lot of PMs from people who find this section the most troublesome. Sadly, this is the section that is the most difficult to improve significantly because it depends so much on your ability to read actively - something that is usually acquired through years of habitual reading. HOWEVER, this doesn't mean you cannot improve at all. I highly recommend you start off by doing timed readings of typical passages, accompanied by short-hand notes of each passage. You need to develop the habit of sifting through the wordiness of the GMAT passages and pulling out the gist of what the author is trying to convey. Put yourself in his shoes and walk through his reasoning attentively. You need to note the tone, what the author is really trying to get you to see, and form a mental map of the core details, evidence, or examples mentioned. This requires dedication, do not succumb to excuses of "I can't concentrate" or "I keep losing focus". This is something you need to WANT enough to get past these feeble reasons guys.

SC: Let me reiterate - get your basics in order. There's loads of resources available. I picked out the concepts I needed work on (Subjunctive mood, parallelism, verbals) and spent a few hours simply re-learning the fundamentals of grammar. This is crucial to identifying errors quickly and picking out the right choice. After this, practice, practice, practice. Learn from your mistakes, make notes of the things you get wrong a lot, and you will beat this section.

Once you have an idea of what you need to do, please just go ahead and do it. Do not wait for more advice or better resources - you've got everything you need. Now it's about getting down to business and combing out all your misconceptions and ignorance.

Good luck!
sv77 wrote:I have a question.. did you use 1000 SC,CR and RC docs for your verbal prep..
I did glance at them but wasn't too happy about not having reliable explanations and also noticed a few members complaining about incorrect or vague answers. However, considering I didn't even get through the OG completely, I'm no role model :)

Whatever resource you choose, focus on quality more than quantity. 3000 verbal questions is a LOT, especially something as unorganized as those documents. Get through all the Official GMAC material before considering these for further practice.
~Abhay

by albatross86 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:41 am
UPDATE:

Just looked at my official report - thankfully no change in the scaled score :D

AWA - 6.0! Was pleasantly surprised considering I hurried through them since I spent a bit too long reading the topics.

A few points about the essays:

Argument:

1 Introductory paragraph rephrasing the topic. CLEARLY STATE YOUR OPINION.

2 Paragraphs attacking the assumptions. Use critical but non-derogatory vocab. (I used very subtle but good-humored sarcasm too, so apparently that works. Shows you have character! Be very careful with that though, you don't want to appear flippant.)

1 paragraph attacking the premise. Question the basis of the opinion, and list out other factors and present a paradigm shift in the way to assess the underlying "issue".

1 conclusion paragraph clearly summarizing your opinion. Mention a few suggestions on how one could strengthen the argument (studies, statistics, etc.)

Issue:

1 Introductory para introducing the issue. Speak about a background for it, what the current situation is in the world, a historical or scientific backdrop of sorts. CLEARLY STATE YOUR OPINION.

1 Paragraph accepting the positive side of the opinion mentioned explicitly or implicitly in the issue. Give an example of a situation in which the opinion holds true. Mention a contrasting viewpoint though.

2 Paras giving counter=examples or additional examples (depending on the topic). I listed a LOT of examples - everything I could think of and covering all the subjects mentioned in the topic. Explain how there are other factors in play, how there are several contradicting situations. Show that you have a firm hold of the issue and know what you are talking about. Include personal experiences and don't be afraid to make stuff up - it totally works, i can vouch for that :D

1 concluding para summarizing the issue and its various considerations. Here, rather than use a very formal concluding sentence, make it personal by homing in on your take - eg. "As a voracious reader, I would hope that authors feel encouraged to continue writing about a variety of themes."

GENERAL TIPS:

1. Quantity does matter - longer essays are more likely to be scored higher simply because they probably include more examples and evidence. Aim for a total of at least 4 solid, independent paragraphs.

2. This leads to the next point - type quickly and don't waste too much time looking for a big word you once knew. Just put it down in plain, easy-to-understand English.

3. Don't be afraid to cut-copy-paste and rearrange your essay to maintain continuity. DO NOT DELETE AN ENTIRE PARA. Leave it there or try to edit what's already in there. 30 mins isn't a lot of time for an essay, trust me.

4. Build an arsenal of a few generic introductions, conclusions and critiques and if possible a few panacean examples. Remember and understand a few standard words from debating vocabulary, eg. cogent, coherent, etc.

5. Don't repeat things redundantly - if you must reintroduce something, please use different words an try to include a new idea.

Let me know if I can help you guys with your essays.

Cheers!
~Abhay

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by anoctave » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:50 am
Congrates Abhay!!

by neha.patni » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:40 am
albatross86 wrote:Just got back home after my GMAT and am happy to report I managed a 770 [Q 51 V 44]. I am satisfied with my score and believe it is an accurate representation of my ability.

FIRST THINGS FIRST - If there's one thing I've learned (and let me put this up in bold to make sure you see it...)

What works for X MAY NOT work for Y!

Another important thing, which is absolutely essential to my philosophy of the bigger picture...

Your GMAT score is irrelevant to who you really are, which is pure, innocent, intent-less Awareness.

(Obviously the second disclaimer is slightly out of scope here, but if you're interested we can talk about that too :))

With the formalities out of the way, let's kick some GMAT butt.

Things you SHOULD do:

1. Study from RELIABLE sources.

There is no such thing as the ONLY reliable source for the GMAT. All the different materials available have their distinguishing virtues, so don't jump to the conclusion that you absolutely must worship the OG or that the MGMAT SC guide is indispensable. People are quick to attribute cause-effect relationships (similar to those CR passages in the GMAT) once they are done with the GMAT.

In retrospect, it is easy to say that I did well because of a particular book, but this is not true. I believe a good, wholesome preparation strategy involves a lot of different kinds of material that contribute to a holistic and varied armory of question-approaches.

I, for example, did only about 150 questions from the OG and used the MGMAT SC guide only for certain concepts I was weak at.

In short, build your approach arsenal using a variety of quality sources.

2. Practice. A lot.

Obvious thing is obvious - but there's no substitute for good old fashioned practice. Here's how my preparation went:

Time-frame : 2 months (took a break from work since I needed to move to a new city as well)
Sources: Grockit, Knewton course, BTG resources, GMATClub resources, OG, MGMAT SC guide, and other miscellaneous stuff I found in various member posts.

Strategy
:

Month 1 - Practiced about 1500 questions in Grockit. The timed environment from the get-go really honed my speed. Interaction with other GMAT-takers was an added boon. Some of the discussions really helped improve my approaches. You need more than one approach for every problem so that you will never be completely stumped at a question. Did OG Diagnostic + GMATPrep1, and all the free CATs available.

Month 2 - Focused on content that I was weak in conceptually. Completed the Knewton course - this is an excellent online course that is perfectly structured and it helps you ensure you haven't missed a question-type or are unaware of a concept. Did Knewton CATS 2-5 and MGMAT CATS 2-6. As you can see I attempted quite a few mock exams, and I stand by the fact that getting used to the time-constraints and improving your stamina is vital.

- Other than this I did about half of Kaplan 800 - you can do the whole book in 2 days if you care to. Good exposure to some tough questions.
- Got through the free MGMAT tutorials available online. They will give you some excellent takeaways. I also went through their free flashcards - really useful.
- Watched the "Thursday's with Ron" BTG Archive. Ron Purewal is this brilliant man whose explanations I've found extremely useful. They really created a paradigm shift in the way I approached questions.
- I also used https://www.platinumgmat.com/ ... some excellent questions available for free in the tough section, and they have a brief overview of several math and verbal concepts that you can get through quickly as a revision.
- Brushed up on Grammar basics with the links Eric has posted in the resources section.

Something that I did a lot of was answer questions on the forum. Members usually post questions they found challenging, so you are bound to come across stuff you yourself can't get your head around. When you set out to explain an answer to someone, you find your own reasoning getting polished. This was especially helpful in Critical Reasoning questions.

I really recommend talking to other GMAT-aspirants and sharing strengths and weaknesses. Speak to people who share a common goal with you.

NOTE: My Practice scores ranged from 730 to 780, averaging about 760.

Things you SHOULDN'T do:

1. Unauthentic or non-GMAT material

Do not waste your time with unreliable questions. If you are attempting a question, make sure you have an authentic explanation and a source for it. Do not do Olympiad or local entrance-exam questions - this heavily takes away from the simple, straight-forward thinking you will need to perform on the GMAT.

2. Buy too many books or spend too much time planning

While I do advocate a varied strategy, don't buy every book in the store. Start with the stuff that has good reviews, and make use of the great free resources available on websites like this one.

It is important to have a study plan, but don't waste your time asking every person you encounter for advice. Be open to suggestions, and listen carefully when wisdom speaks, but that doesn't mean you transform yourself into a human dustbin for everyone's "pearls".

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All in all, read up on the exam, be informed of its nuances, develop a strategy and then get down to business. Practice as much as you can and make sure you understand every question you ever attempt - you should try not to get the same question wrong twice. Maintain error logs if you can, or if you are as lazy as I am, at least make a mental map of concepts you need to work on.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TEST-DAY tips:

1. Do whatever it takes to avoid getting too nervous.
2. You don't need Red Bull, chocolates, Gatorade, Tylenol and all the other stuff people recommend. I had a nice lunch before my 4pm appointment, and spent my breaks stretching, relieving myself, splashing some water on my face and sipping some water. Don't do anything new.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do let me know if I can help any of you with your preparation. I will continue to be active on the forum and look forward to interacting with you guys!

Peace!

Hey Abhay

As expected killer score...well congrats.. i have taken ur advice on some of my posts and working hard on my scores...recently completed mc graw hill 6 practise tests....i have my exam on 3rd august...any suggestions....

by sv77 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:03 pm
Thats great.. congratz for AWA score..

by sv77 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:06 pm
Hi Abhay,

Did you use any comprehensive list of idioms for attacking SC idioms

Thanks..

by albatross86 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:40 am
Thanks for the wishes!
recently completed mc graw hill 6 practise tests....i have my exam on 3rd august...any suggestions....
Hey, I'm unaware about the quality of McGraw Hill material. I would recommend you attempt the MGMAT CATs if you can. They were the best third-party CATS imo.
Did you use any comprehensive list of idioms for attacking SC idioms
Yes, I used the compilation of the idioms found in the OG 12th edition. I didn't bother with the really exhaustive lists with some of the more vague idioms, since there are usually other errors in a sentence that will help you get to the correct idiom usage.

You can find that list here: https://www.platinumgmat.com/about_gmat/ ... idiom_list
~Abhay

GMAT Score:640

by iikarthik » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:16 am
Good Luck Abhay and thanks for your posts

by sv77 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:30 pm
Thanks Abhay .. Good luck for your apps..

by 7806 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:47 pm
great score. great debrief.
congrats buddy. you really deserve that.

all the best for your applications.

good luck.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ashua12 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:49 am
congrats!!!