Speed limit - long one!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mathrupradeep » Sun May 11, 2014 7:11 am
Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the fight over the speed limit continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.

A. Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the fight over the speed limit continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.
B. Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways.
C. Regarded by opponents as ineffective meddling and by supporters as the conservation of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways.
D. The fight over the speed limit, regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.
E. The fight over the speed limit, a measure regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.

Hi,

Can someone help me understand why Option D is wrong?

In option D. The modifier is placed next to the speed limit. So how does it make it wrong?
Even in option E the modifier is placed to speed limit. So why D is wrong?

Please help me...

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:760

by ilyana » Sun May 11, 2014 7:41 am
mathrupradeep wrote:Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the fight over the speed limit continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.

A. Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the fight over the speed limit continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.
B. Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways.
C. Regarded by opponents as ineffective meddling and by supporters as the conservation of life and energy, the speed limit continues to be fought over in our legislatures and on our freeways.
D. The fight over the speed limit, regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.
E. The fight over the speed limit, a measure regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy, continues in our legislatures and on our freeways.

Hi,

Can someone help me understand why Option D is wrong?

In option D. The modifier is placed next to the speed limit. So how does it make it wrong?
Even in option E the modifier is placed to speed limit. So why D is wrong?

Please help me...
When we compare D and E, we should think in terms of what is more logical.

In D: speed limit is [regarded as] INEFFECTIVE and MEDDLESOME. Can the speed limit be meddlesome? It doesn't seem likely.

In E: speed limit is a MEASURE, and this measure is [regarded as] INEFFECTIVE and MEDDLESOME. A measure can be ineffective and meddlesome, so this option is better.
Please click on "Thank" button if you think my post is helpful.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ilyana-anderson-481846127/

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aditya8062 » Sun May 11, 2014 9:49 pm
ilyana what difference does it make if i say that speed limit is meddlesome than if i say speed limit as a measure is meddlesome ?--->"speed limit" can be meddlesome !!
i think E is better than D for the reason that there is an iota of doubt in D
D says: The fight over the speed limit, regarded by opponents......--->"regarded" is verb-ed adjective that can refer to "fight" as well as to "speed limit"
this ambiguity is removed when we look at option E
E says :The fight over the speed limit, a measure regarded by opponents.... -->measure must refer to "speed limit"

Followed by:4 members
GMAT Score:760

by ilyana » Sun May 11, 2014 10:30 pm
aditya8062 wrote:ilyana what difference does it make if i say that speed limit is meddlesome than if i say speed limit as a measure is meddlesome ?--->"speed limit" can be meddlesome !!
i think E is better than D for the reason that there is an iota of doubt in D
D says: The fight over the speed limit, regarded by opponents......--->"regarded" is verb-ed adjective that can refer to "fight" as well as to "speed limit"
this ambiguity is removed when we look at option E
E says :The fight over the speed limit, a measure regarded by opponents.... -->measure must refer to "speed limit"
I agree. Here "the fight over the speed limit" is a noun-phrase and "regarded" can modify both "speed limit" and "the fight" and thus ambiguous.

(Personally, I'm not a big fan of elimination based on ambiguity.)

In my view, "speed limit as a measure is meddlesome" is better than "speed limit is meddlesome", and if I had to choose between the two, I would go with the first one.
Please click on "Thank" button if you think my post is helpful.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/ilyana-anderson-481846127/

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720

by ixthoughtxso » Mon May 19, 2014 8:51 am
The original choice has a misplaced modifier in "Regarded by opponents as ineffective...the fight over the speed limit..." The fight itself is not ineffective or meddlesome. With this in mind, we can eliminate choices A and B. Choice D itself has an ambiguous modifier: we cannot be sure whether the fight or the speed limit is regarded as ineffective and meddlesome. Now we have choices C and E.

While I could not say what was wrong with C, I noted that the sentence was not as clear as E.

by chetan86 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:57 am
In Option B and C - usage of 'fought over' is correct?
I eliminated B and C on this usage.

Experts, please help.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by coolmohit » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:35 am
Answer is E

by chtoshniwal » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:48 am
Incorrect. It implies that fight is regarded rather than speed limit

Correct.

Incorrect. the conservation of life and energy.

Incorrect. Implies the fight is regarded.

Incorrect. No clear reference for "a measure".

by Shilpa77 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:56 pm
I think B is correct. Modifier should be placed close to the word they modify.

by samjammin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:02 am
The OA is B :)

by sk.ward » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:11 am
IMO E

by rjj569 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:50 am
DanaJ wrote:So the OA here is E!

@uwhusky: just stumbled upon it in the Beat The GMAT Practice Questions... While I don't have a specific set of questions with modifiers, I have seen quite a few in this resource, especially one really tough one with Italians and Slavs... If I find it again, I'll post it!

Anyway, here's my take on this question:

So the way it's structured right now, the modifier is incorrectly placed (as many of you have noticed). It's not the "fight over the speed limit" that's meddlesome or a conserver of life and energy, it's the speed limit itself. We need to find the answer choice that correctly attaches the modifier ("Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy") to its correct noun ("speed limit"). This way, we can eliminate A for sure. D is also wrong because of the same reason: incorrectly placed modifier.

C is wrong because there's no parallelism between "ineffective meddling" (verb) and "the conservation of life and energy" (noun). Also, the use of "the" in bold is unnecessary. "The" suggests that the speed limit is "the one and only" (to quote a song :D) saver of energy and life, which is obviously not the case - I can think of a million other things that can save more lives and energy :)

Now, you guys have successfully narrowed it down to B and E... E is better here because of the use of the passive voice in B. In general, you should avoid the passive voice in the GMAT, because it's considered wordy. "To be fought over" is also pretty vague - who fights over it? The official explanation also cites "a pile-up of prepositions" in "to be fought over in".[/quoteB

So the answer is E right? Why are the others still say it's B? Need clarification about the final answer in here.

by rjj569 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:50 am
DanaJ wrote:So the OA here is E!

@uwhusky: just stumbled upon it in the Beat The GMAT Practice Questions... While I don't have a specific set of questions with modifiers, I have seen quite a few in this resource, especially one really tough one with Italians and Slavs... If I find it again, I'll post it!

Anyway, here's my take on this question:

So the way it's structured right now, the modifier is incorrectly placed (as many of you have noticed). It's not the "fight over the speed limit" that's meddlesome or a conserver of life and energy, it's the speed limit itself. We need to find the answer choice that correctly attaches the modifier ("Regarded by opponents as ineffective and meddlesome and by supporters as a conserver of life and energy") to its correct noun ("speed limit"). This way, we can eliminate A for sure. D is also wrong because of the same reason: incorrectly placed modifier.

C is wrong because there's no parallelism between "ineffective meddling" (verb) and "the conservation of life and energy" (noun). Also, the use of "the" in bold is unnecessary. "The" suggests that the speed limit is "the one and only" (to quote a song :D) saver of energy and life, which is obviously not the case - I can think of a million other things that can save more lives and energy :)

Now, you guys have successfully narrowed it down to B and E... E is better here because of the use of the passive voice in B. In general, you should avoid the passive voice in the GMAT, because it's considered wordy. "To be fought over" is also pretty vague - who fights over it? The official explanation also cites "a pile-up of prepositions" in "to be fought over in".[/quoteB

So the answer is E right? Why are the others still say it's B? Need clarification about the final answer in here.

by cmcquill » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:36 am
B?

What is the correct answer Dana?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jaspreetsra » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:17 pm
Option A is more concise and clear