Species of Moth

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:35 am
parul9 wrote:
komal wrote:
mgmt_gmat wrote:Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective flight, and when air temperatures fall much below that temperature, the moths typically have to remain inactive on vegetation for extended periods, leaving them highly vulnerable to predators. In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why ______.

A. large moths are generally able to maneuver better in flight than smaller moths
Correct : It is stated in the premise that each species had optimal body tempt. for effective flight. Hence if the large moths have higher optimal body tempt. it only means that they are able to maneuver better in flights.

B. large moths are proportionally much more common in warm climates than in cool climates
Incorrect : Proportion of moths found in warm or cool climates is irrelevant to the scope of the argument.

C. small moths are more likely than large moths to be effectively camouflaged while on vegetation
Incorrect : Camouflage is additional info. here. Eliminated.

D. large moths typically have wings that are larger in proportion to their body size than smaller moths do
Incorrect : Size of wings is out of scope.

E. most predators of moths prey not only on several different species of moth but also on various species of other insects
Incorrect : The premises stated above in no way lead to this conclusion.
Hope this helps : )
Hi Komal,

If we see the last sentence of the CR: "In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why ______. "
doesn't "higher optimal temp" and more importantly the start of this part with a "but" mean that that the remaining part of the sentence should talk about the effects of higher optimal temperature, instead of flight effectiveness due to optimal temperature?
For that reason, I marked the answer as B.
Komal s post is dated at 20 months old
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by parul9 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:40 am
you have my permission to respond, if you sought that by this reply! :)

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:48 am
parul9 wrote:you have my permission to respond, if you sought that by this reply! :)
Can You elaborate what u meant :)

Followed by:1 members

by 1947 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:50 am
whats OA I am also getting B
plese help
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button. Thanks

Legendary Member

by mundasingh123 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:51 am
1947 wrote:whats OA I am also getting B
plese help
OA is B

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:760

by Geva@EconomistGMAT » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:49 am
mundasingh123 wrote:
plese help
OA is B
And rightly so. The argument explains the term "effective flight" only in terms of "cannot fly if temperature are below optimal temp., and so are highly vulnerable to predators". So if the larger moths have a higher optimal temperature, it means that can only fly when it's hot - which means that we'll find less of them in the cold, as any poor moth who find itself there falls asleep in the snow and gets eaten.

We are told nothing of the relation of maneuverability and size, so A is irrelevant.
We are told nothing of camouflage, so C is irrelevant too.
Geva
Senior Instructor
Master GMAT
1-888-780-GMAT
https://www.mastergmat.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by nitin9003 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:43 am
I also marked B as the correct answer bt then A also seems to be correct..
Confused b/w A and B.
Whats the OA?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:620

by nitin9003 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:49 am
thnx Geva

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by adi_800 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:32 am
Geva@MasterGMAT wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
plese help
OA is B
And rightly so. The argument explains the term "effective flight" only in terms of "cannot fly if temperature are below optimal temp., and so are highly vulnerable to predators". So if the larger moths have a higher optimal temperature, it means that can only fly when it's hot - which means that we'll find less of them in the cold, as any poor moth who find itself there falls asleep in the snow and gets eaten.

We are told nothing of the relation of maneuverability and size, so A is irrelevant.
We are told nothing of camouflage, so C is irrelevant too.

Sometimes it is comforting to know that your reasoning matches to the experts reasoning and gives you that wow experience !!

Thanks !!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by divineacclivity » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:22 pm
Great. thanks.
komal wrote:
mgmt_gmat wrote:Each species of moth has an optimal body temperature for effective flight, and when air temperatures fall much below that temperature, the moths typically have to remain inactive on vegetation for extended periods, leaving them highly vulnerable to predators. In general, larger moths can fly faster than smaller ones and hence have a better chance of evading flying predators, but they also have higher optimal body temperatures, which explains why ______.

A. large moths are generally able to maneuver better in flight than smaller moths
Correct : It is stated in the premise that each species had optimal body tempt. for effective flight. Hence if the large moths have higher optimal body tempt. it only means that they are able to maneuver better in flights.

B. large moths are proportionally much more common in warm climates than in cool climates
Incorrect : Proportion of moths found in warm or cool climates is irrelevant to the scope of the argument.

C. small moths are more likely than large moths to be effectively camouflaged while on vegetation
Incorrect : Camouflage is additional info. here. Eliminated.

D. large moths typically have wings that are larger in proportion to their body size than smaller moths do
Incorrect : Size of wings is out of scope.

E. most predators of moths prey not only on several different species of moth but also on various species of other insects
Incorrect : The premises stated above in no way lead to this conclusion.
Hope this helps : )

Followed by:1 members

by binit » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:29 am
Some ppl consider 'optimum temperature' as a plus point, whereas it is basically a constraint for 'effective flight'. So, the larger moths basically have one advantage (fast flight) and a disadvantage as well (less effective to move in very cold weather).
With this knowledge if one approaches the answer choices, I don't think one can ignore B.
Moreover, BUT in the final sentence has to convey a contrast. We do not say, John is a better bowler than Jerry, but given he is 6' tall, John is a great basketball player too. - that doesn't make sense.

I found this Qn in a different collection and readily chose B.

~Binit.

Legendary Member

by nikhilgmat31 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:17 pm
lets say optimal temperature of small moth is 40 F
lets say optimal temperature of larger moth is 80 F since it is greater than that of smaller moth.

If the temperature in warm air is 100 then both smaller & large moth will enjoy & fly but large moth fly faster & saved from predator.

so large moths are more than smaller.

Answer is B.