sir joseph

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by ngk4mba3236 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:44 pm
gmatguru,
thanks for the links.
but yes, in spite of all these discussions, at times I'm getting confused which usage of past perfect with "because" or "since" are considered correct and which are not - be it in any causal sentence or in sentences that don't express causality on GMAT!

is there NO grammatical standpoint to understand these nuances ? or is it simply driven by the meaning ?
GMATGuruNY wrote:Sir Lester lent his name because his campaign was successful.
Here, the campaign is successful and Sir Lester lends his name AT THE SAME TIME.
don't really understand how this particular sequence seems viable ? because in a causal sentence, the clause part that follows "because" or "since", always occurs before the effect part. so how we can say that both the cause and effect occur AT THE SAME TIME ?

eager to know your thoughts!

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:02 am
ngk4mba3236 wrote:gmatguru,
thanks for the links.
but yes, in spite of all these discussions, at times I'm getting confused which usage of past perfect with "because" or "since" are considered correct and which are not - be it in any causal sentence or in sentences that don't express causality on GMAT!

is there NO grammatical standpoint to understand these nuances ? or is it simply driven by the meaning ?
GMATGuruNY wrote:Sir Lester lent his name because his campaign was successful.
Here, the campaign is successful and Sir Lester lends his name AT THE SAME TIME.
don't really understand how this particular sequence seems viable ? because in a causal sentence, the clause part that follows "because" or "since", always occurs before the effect part. so how we can say that both the cause and effect occur AT THE SAME TIME ?

eager to know your thoughts!
The past perfect serves to express an action COMPLETED before another past event.

Sir Lester lent his name because his campaign had been successful.
Here, the usage of had been (past perfect) implies that the campaign was no longer happening when Sir Lester lent his name.

Sir Lester lent his name because his campaign was successful.
Here, the usage of was (simple past) implies that the campaign was still happening when Sir Lester lent his name.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3