SC question

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:32 am
my vote is for B

i agree they is ambiguous but compared to it, they is a better choice (remember, GMAT asks you to pick the best, not the correct choice)

as far as choosing between A and B, take a look at word "turn" in the stem and then see why A is wrong.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:35 pm
I received a PM asking me to comment.

This is not a great question. I've seen this one referenced with both A and E as the correct answer. Is this from 1000SC? I really don't recommend studying from that source - some questions are fine, but some are not good questions from which to study.

If this question is from the sets, then this may be an old paper and pencil question - lots of the questions in the sets are (illegally) reproduced from those. Even if it is, I don't think something like this would show up on the GMAT today. It requires us to spend too much time thinking about the intent of the author. They are trying to get away from that now. So I really wouldn't study this one.

There are two plural nouns in the sentence. When looking for pronoun antecedents, we need to consider two things: structure and logic. Logically, "they" refers to "charter vacations." What about structurally? "charter vacations" is the subject of the first verb and it is also the first half of a comparison. "they" is the subject of the second verb and it is also the second half of the previously mentioned comparison. So, we've got a structural match as well - it's okay to say that "they" matches with "charter vacations" and not with "travelers."

Okay, what about D and E? The "they" moves but is still matched with a verb in the sentence, so that also qualifies. The pronoun "it" does not always have to have an antecedent. Think about: "it's raining outside." What's raining outside? The sky? Mother Nature? Nothing, really. So "it" can be used sometimes to refer to an abstract idea, for which there isn't an actual referent in the sentence.

So now how do we decide? Let's start with the first 3, since they're similar. "originally" does dictate a change to past tense, so B and C are out.

A reads: CVs turn out to cost more than they originally seemed to cost. Hmm. Let's put ourselves back in time, two weeks ago, before the charter vacation began. Someone's trying to sell it to us. Do we actually pay it all at the beginning ("originally")? No. If we paid it all at the beginning, then there wouldn't be a different cost during or at the end. Okay, so what we're told right now is what it "will" cost or what it "should" cost - in the future, as we're taking the vacation. There isn't an actual total cost at this point in time but an expected total cost. Once we get to the future point where the actual cost comes into play, that's when we suddenly discover - hey, this is costing a lot more than you told me it would (cost)!

(Is anybody else getting annoyed with our hypothetical travel agent here? :))

So the thing that "originally seemed" to be the case is that it would cost a certain amount of money, not that it did cost a certain amount of money. That gets rid of both A and D, leaving us with E.

For many travelers, charter vacations often turn out to cost considerably more than they originally seemed.
(A) they originally seemed
(B) they originally seem to
(C) they seemingly would cost originally
(D) it seemed originally
(E) it originally seemed they would
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

Re: Sentence Correction :: RE: SC question

by karmayogi » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:37 pm
sanjaylakhani wrote:How is the THEY in this question diff from THEY in below menioned question-

Astronomers at the Palomar Observatory have discovered a distant supernova explosion, one that they believe is a type previously unknown to science.
(A) that they believe is
(B) that they believe it to be
(C) they believe that it is of
(D) they believe that is
(E) they believe to be of
IMO E

As there is no plural noun other than astronomers, "they" clearly refers to astronomers. Now, let's check the answer options. In the second clause, "one" is clearly pointing to "supernova explosion." So, we don't need any other pronoun to refer to "supernova explosion." This eliminates A, B and D, where use of 'that' is redundant. In option B and D, 'it' is used ambiguously: "Palomar Observatory" or "supernova explosion. This leaves us with E, which, in my opinion, is the right answer. Also, to me, "to be of type" looks much better than "is a type."