• NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    NEW! FREE Beat The GMAT Quizzes
    Hundreds of Questions Highly Detailed Reporting Expert Explanations TAKE A FREE GMAT QUIZ
  • 7 CATs FREE!
    If you earn 100 Forum Points

Engage in the Beat The GMAT forums to earn
    100 points for $49 worth of Veritas practice GMATs FREE

Veritas Prep
    VERITAS PRACTICE GMAT EXAMS
    Earn 10 Points Per Post
    Earn 10 Points Per Thanks
    Earn 10 Points Per Upvote
    REDEEM NOW

SC-Help

This topic has 8 expert replies and 36 member replies
Goto page Previous Next
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
157 messages
Upvotes:
Test Date:
Depends!!!
Target GMAT Score:
740+
GMAT Score:
(D) sounds as if France gets 33% of energy from Germany's nuclear power Confused Wierd right.. thats y it is wrong. Very Happy
nice one line explanation... thanks a lot.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Legendary Member Default Avatar
Posted:
940 messages
Followed by:
1 members
Upvotes:

1. I want to know the exact reasons why options A, B, D and E are incorrect? I especially want to know how D, E change the meaning by shifting "in germany" and also want to confirm if C has shift of meaning from "produced" to "uses"

2. I wanted to know what are common things tested between this question and other one discussed in

http://www.beatthegmat.com/soaring-television-costs-t21393.html

( In this question is "of" missing...for e.g. should it be "soaring costs accounted for more than half OF the spending in XYZ)

thanks, Iamcste

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
3380 messages
Followed by:
1503 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
A) while in Germany it is just over 33%
the pronoun "it" doesn't have a legitimate antecedent.

here, "it" would have to stand for something like "the percentage/proportion/fraction of energy provided by nukes". there is no such noun in the sentence, so "it" is an orphan.

Quote:
B) compared to Germany, which uses just over 33%
EVERYTHING here is wrong.

"compared to germany" isn't a valid comparison, because it's not parallel to anything.
france is tethered to the prepositional phrase "IN france", so it can't be compared to just "germany".

also, the sentence doesn't say that france "uses" anything.

finally, "uses" isn't used logically here. germany "uses" the nuclear energy, but it also "uses" the energy that isn't nuclear!

Quote:
C) whereas nuclear poweraccounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany
this sentence is correct.

it doesn't use any particularly difficult or obscure constructions, so i think i can let it stand without explanation.
if there's anything you don't understand about it, post back.

Quote:
D) whereas just over 33% of the energy comes from nuclear power in Germany
this sentence is written in a way whose meaning is at best ambiguous and at worst incorrect.

one possible meaning, if not the meaning, is that 33% of "the energy" (we don't know where this energy is, or where it's used) comes from "nuclear power in germany". i.e., the power itself is in germany (whatever that means), but "the energy" is we-don't-know-where.

Quote:
E) compared with the energy from nuclear power in Germany, where it is just over 33%
first, false comparison: the earlier part doesn't mention "the energy from nuclear power in france", so this isn't parallel. (the earlier part mentions a percentage of ALL power in france.)

second, and more obviously, the pronoun "it" doesn't have a legitimate antecedent, for essentially the same reason as in (a).

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Posted:
67 messages
Upvotes:
Quote:
Quote:
C) whereas nuclear poweraccounts for just over 33% of the energy produced in Germany

it doesn't use any particularly difficult or obscure constructions, so i think i can let it stand without explanation.

Hi Ron
While I do understand why a,b,d, and e are wrong, I had a question about C. Doesn't the structure of this sentence violates the rule of parallelism: "over 75% of the energy....whereas nuclear power..."
Thank you!
"

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
3380 messages
Followed by:
1503 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
lunarpower wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Ron
While I do understand why a,b,d, and e are wrong, I had a question about C. Doesn't the structure of this sentence violates the rule of parallelism: "over 75% of the energy....whereas nuclear power..."
Thank you!
"
no -- "whereas", like other subordinating conjunctions, connects two clauses that by themselves would be independent sentences. since the two items connected are so individually large, it would be an unreasonable burden to expect them to be written in completely parallel structures.

so, in general, the takeaway you can get here is this:
when a subordinating conjunction connects two complete clauses, those clauses don't have to be written in parallel form -- the only requirement is that each of them be a complete sentence on its own.

--

by the way, this is an official problem. (i'm not sure whether it's marked as such on the thread, but i've seen it on the gmatprep software.)
remember that you can't question the structure of correct answers in official problems -- if something appears in an officially correct answer, then it's correct, and you must learn it as such.

--

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Free Manhattan Prep online events - The first class of every online Manhattan Prep course is free. Classes start every week.
Posted:
67 messages
Upvotes:
THANK YOU Ron. I now understand why the sentence can still be correct without maintaining parallelism.
I actually found this problem on the GMAT OG book, but could not understand why they chose this answer. I knew I must be making a wrong assumption or missing something out, and Your explanation helped me figure it out. Smile

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
3380 messages
Followed by:
1503 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
THANK YOU Ron. I now understand why the sentence can still be correct without maintaining parallelism.
I actually found this problem on the GMAT OG book, but could not understand why they chose this answer. I knew I must be making a wrong assumption or missing something out, and Your explanation helped me figure it out. :)
ok.

since you are thus aware of the fact that this is an official problem, make sure that you heed the warning above when you study such problems: NEVER question the correct answers to the official problems.

in other words, the WRONG question to ask is this:
"isn't that wrong?"

the CORRECT question to ask is this:
"why/how is that correct?"

at first, the difference between these two questions might seem subtle or small, but the different attitudes espoused by each are radically disparate.
the first question suggests an inevitably fruitless search for mistakes in sentences that GMAC has specifically indicated as correct, while the second evinces an understanding that whatever is officially correct must be regarded as correct (even though the officially correct answers are sometimes ugly enough to make me want to throw the book against the wall).

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
3380 messages
Followed by:
1503 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
also, in case it's not clear from the above post, this sort of absolute faith in the correctness of correct answers should be limited to OFFICIAL problems.

if you're looking at a problem from a third-party source, feel free to approach with a critical viewpoint even those answers indicated as correct; the only sources to be regarded as absolute gospel are those published by GMAC itself.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Posted:
67 messages
Upvotes:
tnaim wrote:
I actually found this problem on the GMAT OG book, but could not understand why they chose this answer. I knew I must be making a wrong assumption or missing something out, and Your explanation helped me figure it out. Smile
ok.

since you are thus aware of the fact that this is an official problem, make sure that you heed the warning above when you study such problems: NEVER question the correct answers to the official problems.

in other words, the WRONG question to ask is this:
"isn't that wrong?"

the CORRECT question to ask is this:
"why/how is that correct?"

at first, the difference between these two questions might seem subtle or small, but the different attitudes espoused by each are radically disparate.
the first question suggests an inevitably fruitless search for mistakes in sentences that GMAC has specifically indicated as correct, while the second evinces an understanding that whatever is officially correct must be regarded as correct (even though the officially correct answers are sometimes ugly enough to make me want to throw the book against the wall).
Thank you for the advice!excellent point!!!
the last line made me laugh!!since it describes exactly how I feel sometimes after I read the answer choices or discover what the right answer is.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
64 messages
Upvotes:

as per OG 12

option D

The use of the definite article the makes it
seem as though the energy being referred to
in this part of the sentence is that of France.

Can someone please explain this point a bit further.

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
3380 messages
Followed by:
1503 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
Hi,

as per OG 12

option D

The use of the definite article the makes it
seem as though the energy being referred to
in this part of the sentence is that of France.

Can someone please explain this point a bit further.
heh, ok, i can see why you had some trouble with this one. remember that the og people are not necessarily in the business of writing spectacularly good answers to their own problems (in fact, the quality of the explanations in the og is consistently and noticeably inferior to that of the questions themselves).

let me explain by way of analogy.

consider the following sentence:

over 80% of the energy in almonds comes from fat; by contrast, less than 10% of the energy comes from protein.
--> in this sentence, it should be pretty clear that "the energy"refers to "the energy in almonds".
so far so good.

now, for where the trouble comes in:
over 80% of the energy in almonds comes from fat; less than 10% of the energy comes from protein in beef.
this sentence is ambiguous in the same way as the one you posted, but, because you've been "primed" for the meaning of the preceding sentence, it should be easier for you to see the ambiguity.
i.e., one interpretation of this sentence -- the interpretation in which "the energy" has the same significance as in the preceding sentence -- suggests that some percentage of the energy in almonds actually comes from beef!

the problem that you posted has the same issue.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
301 messages
Upvotes:
tnaim wrote:
lunarpower wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hi Ron
Thank you!
"
no -- "whereas", like other subordinating conjunctions, connects two clauses that by themselves would be independent sentences. since the two items connected are so individually large, it would be an unreasonable burden to expect them to be written in completely parallel structures.

so, in general, the takeaway you can get here is this:
when a subordinating conjunction connects two complete clauses, those clauses don't have to be written in parallel form -- the only requirement is that each of them be a complete sentence on its own.

--

by the way, this is an official problem. (i'm not sure whether it's marked as such on the thread, but i've seen it on the gmatprep software.)
remember that you can't question the structure of correct answers in official problems -- if something appears in an officially correct answer, then it's correct, and you must learn it as such.
hi Ron,

as you mentioned 'when a subordinating conjunction connects two complete clauses, those clauses don't have to be written in parallel form ', option C should not have been regarded as a wrong option. Pl. suggest. It's a question posted in the forum and is an official problem.

below is the link.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/meteorites-strike-human-beings-buildings-t58623.html

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Posted:
3380 messages
Followed by:
1503 members
Upvotes:
GMAT Score:
as you mentioned 'when a subordinating conjunction connects two complete clauses, those clauses don't have to be written in parallel form ', option C should not have been regarded as a wrong option. Pl. suggest. It's a question posted in the forum and is an official problem.

below is the link.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/meteorites-strike-human-beings-buildings-t58623.html
hi --

i did say that, but please don't read more into that statement than what is actually written there.

in particular, the statement just says that perfect parallelism is not NECESSARY in the case of long constructions such as complete clauses. in other words, you can't knock an answer choice out on the basis of trivial differences in structure between two entire clauses that are placed in parallel.

however, you are not using what is perhaps the most important principle of evaluating parallelism:
parallelism is a beauty contest:
you should always pick choices that are more parallel over choices that are less parallel.

in the problems cited, the correct answer exhibits essentially perfect parallelism, so you may feel free to eliminate the choices whose parallelism is clearly inferior (such as c).

there's also the issue of redundancy / lack of clarity, caused by the juxtaposition of "one" and "once" in the same construction.

--

--

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
301 messages
Upvotes:

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
8 messages

• +1 Upvote Post
  • Flag
  • Veritas Prep