Realistic Chances for foreigners

Share tips as you apply, write essays, interview...
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:760

by jerrykantrell » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:24 am
Parore,

I am glad you bought the topic of ISB up.
The salary as reported by FT is way off mark.
For one thing, they took the PPP value of the actual salaries that people graduating from ISB reported, as may be read from the footnotes of the survey. So you could probably divide the given figure by 3 to arrive at the actual value.

@aim-wsc maybe you could give your opinion.
I guess you are Indian right ?

Also, I think this figure is arrived after taking into consideration salaries of managers with 7-8 years experience who were already earning big bucks before they joined ISB. They would obviously skew the average.

I am not happy at this move as it gives a false impression to most people who are not aware of the situation here.

What do the others feel ?

Thanks
JK

I guess instead of searching for the 'best fit' top schools, I must start looking for 'best fit' schools which give large tuition waivers :(

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by parore26 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:18 am
The value you're talking about and one that has created most controversy is weighted salary which comes in at $169,000. The actual salary is $155K You can go to the FT Rankings page and at top right-hand corner there is an option to add additional values to your ranking report. Add the "Salary today" feature: https://rankings.ft.com/global-mba-rankings

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

visa after graduation

by gogojillsu » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:09 pm
It's not impossible but timing and finding the right company is crucial.
Last edited by gogojillsu on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ashish.mahendra » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:34 pm
As I see it, its definitely not going to be easy to find a Job in the US after graduating.

There are however a few bright spots here.In case you happen to go to a good school which has an active alumni base, you can network hard and then who knows.....................

Also, If you happen to go to a school and major in a concentration that the school is strong at, you might be at an advantage.

Besides, an MBA degree is something that will always add value to your resume.So, in the event that you might find it tough to get a job in the States right after your MBA, there are other locations where your degree will put you in a significant advantage compared to other local MBA's.

Take the case of India and as an example an MBA in Supply Chain.
Now no School in India had even a half-decent MBA program in Supply chain. I went to one of the B-Schools back home that had a supply chain MBA program and the less said about it the better.BTW this is a top 10 school in India.Supply chain as a field though, is at a tremendous growth curve and will be for some time due to all the developments in the organized retail industry in India.

So, as a recruiter, if I have an Indian MBA from one of the elite schools ( not a supply chain MBA) and another Indian who is an MBA from the US majoring in Supply Chain; who do you think I will recruit (assuming prior exp. being somewhat equal).

That being said, yes it will be tough going back to India after spending so much money on an MBA from the US.

But think of it this way, there are other countries and locations other than India and the US where you can work at and still get paid a decent amount of money. There are companies that can Hire you and place you lets say in Africa or Europe for a few years and transfer you back to the US on an L-1.This happens all the time.
The thing about doing an MBA from a good school in the US or Europe or even a School like HKUST is that it opens up more doors "internationally"

My two cents...................

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by jelt » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:28 pm
Hi there,

I believe it depends very much on what industry you intend to go into. I met a fellow admit at Wharton who did her UG (engineering) at MIT and she said she had to pass up many good engineering jobs because she was a foreigner without a green card.

On the other hand, MBAs looking to go into finance and consulting are probably never penalised on account of their nationality. None of the current international students I've met at Wharton are worried about this, and that includes a fair amount of Indians (mostly going into IB, I think).

Hope this helps,
Jason

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by pranav » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:26 pm
Agreed that it has become all the more difficult to get a H1 Visa in US. But there are 20,000 master’s quota of H1 B visas given out every year. i.e. for job applicatants who have completed their masters degree.

An excerpt from an article published in Times of India's supplement - The Education Times.

'As of April 1 (The deadline for filing H1 Visa), many students hadn’t graduated and their applications were not considered in advanced degree quota; hence subjected to the lottery. Unlike a similar master’s programme, usually, MBA does not allow you to pre-pone or post-pone your graduation date. Some proactive students succeeded in completing their exams earlier, getting a completion certificate which allowed them to jump lines in order to be eligible for advanced degree quota of H1 Bs. '

https://education.indiatimes.com/educati ... &sectid=44

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by smar83 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:23 pm
Do not rely on TOI for US immigration information.

They are predicting MS quota to go for the lottery this year as many student's were not able to apply last year are expected to compete this year.