Problem with BTG site

500 prizes worth $100,000!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by mhasan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:23 am
Hi,

I am having problems with the Facebook sharing option on the site. I use Safari on an iMac. I have tried Google Chrome as well and have the same issues. Once I click on share this on Facebook, the dialog box gets stuck. This has happened on both Safari and Chrome. Attached are 2 pics from the 2 browsers.

In fact I had a problem with a Pop us quiz as well where after selecting the answer I could not confirm and lost 10 points.

Site Admin
Followed by:29 members

by DavidP » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:31 pm
mhasan, sorry about the problems that you're experiencing. That particular issue is a Facebook issue. I believe that their servers are slow. And so I sometimes experience windows that hang up myself. The only thing I can recommend is that you close that window and click on the share link again or refresh the page.
mhasan wrote:Hi,

I am having problems with the Facebook sharing option on the site. I use Safari on an iMac. I have tried Google Chrome as well and have the same issues. Once I click on share this on Facebook, the dialog box gets stuck. This has happened on both Safari and Chrome. Attached are 2 pics from the 2 browsers.

In fact I had a problem with a Pop us quiz as well where after selecting the answer I could not confirm and lost 10 points.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:37 pm
Hi David,
On the BTG $100K Players Page,it is showing that a "column mismatch error " has occured. "Column reference 8 does not match"
Can you look into the problem?
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

Site Admin

by DavidP » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:07 pm
Hi Harsh,

Bug is now fixed. The reason that you saw that is that you were looking at the page while I was making some changes. :)

David
harsh.champ wrote:Hi David,
On the BTG $100K Players Page,it is showing that a "column mismatch error " has occured. "Column reference 8 does not match"
Can you look into the problem?

by russty » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:01 pm
Hi David,
I'm having the exact problem that mhassan described above and specifically on those 2 posts. I had submitted the answer in the stipulated time period but the problem starts whenever I click on share. The loading box comes up which I close and refresh. But this didn't work and I have lost points.
You have said that if we answer correctly the clock does not run out and we get points as long as we share.
but I am not sure that is the case. It seems that I have to answer and share in 60 secs to get points and if the facebook server is slow I lose points through no fault of mine. Any way I and the other members who answered correctly can get our points.
(cuz its not always i answer correctly :))
Thanks

Site Admin

by DavidP » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:14 pm
Hi Russty,

I'm really sorry but we can't do anything about the specific bug that you've identified. This particular problem is a Facebook problem - their stream publishing window is slow. My guess is that Facebook gives priority to serving companies who pay a lot of money like Zynga rather than smaller companies like us.

The only advice I can give is to please try to reload the page and to share. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

David

P.S., There is definitely no time limit on when you can share after answering a Pop Quiz correctly. The clock will keep counting down but you should be able to share and then get points even after the clock reaches 00:00. I tested this particular behavior myself.
russty wrote:Hi David,
I'm having the exact problem that mhassan described above and specifically on those 2 posts. I had submitted the answer in the stipulated time period but the problem starts whenever I click on share. The loading box comes up which I close and refresh. But this didn't work and I have lost points.
You have said that if we answer correctly the clock does not run out and we get points as long as we share.
but I am not sure that is the case. It seems that I have to answer and share in 60 secs to get points and if the facebook server is slow I lose points through no fault of mine. Any way I and the other members who answered correctly can get our points.
Thanks

by russty » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:43 am
Hey David,
The pop quizes are finally working for me! though, I've lost a lot of points initially. And you're right about the Facebook servers, they do cause an issue but when I hit the pop quizes during the daytime, then it works just fine. Thankfully, the loading window doesn't get stuck for too long, that was a sucha pain.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by shashank.ism » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:20 pm
My Websites:
www.mba.webmaggu.com - India's social Network for MBA Aspirants

www.deal.webmaggu.com -India's online discount, coupon, free stuff informer.

www.dictionary.webmaggu.com - A compact free online dictionary with images.

Nothing is Impossible, even Impossible says I'm possible.

by mhasan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:21 am
Hi David,

I continue to have problems with sharing anything on my Facebook account. I have tried 3 different browsers and all 3 have failed to share on Facebook from this site. I tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox, which were all used on an imac. The small sharing window appears and then hangs. This has been happening for 3 days now and I have lost a lot of points because of this.

I am pulling my hair out of my head to figure out how to correct this. Is there something I can do in Facebook to correct the problem. Why is it that all 3 browsers are having the sharing problem?

At least, Safari & Firefox allow me to log in through Facebook. But Chrome does not even let me do that. I am attaching screen shots of all three to show you the issue. Could you please please give me a solution as I want to win that Grand Prize and am seeing all the points pass away. David I would really appreciate your help on addressing this issue for me.

regards
Mhasan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mhasan on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by frank1 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:39 am
mhasan wrote: Hi David,

I continue to have problems with sharing anything on my Facebook account. I have tried 3 different browsers. Safari, Chrome and Firefox, which were all used on an imac. The small sharing window appears and then hangs. This has been happening for 3 days now and I have lost a lot of points because of this.

I am pulling my hair out of my head to figure out how to correct this. Is there something I can de in Facebook to correct the problem.

Safari & Firefox allow me to log in through Facebook. Chrome does not let me do that. I am attaching screen shots of all three to show you the issue.
well then i think you can play the game using firefox and safari.
I think with chorme it is problem with temporary internet files or slow connection(just a guess...)

If that publish feed dialog box not opening is a problem then close that ...loading dialog box and click on sharing again ....second time it will load faster(as may be it is preloaded from the point you hit share text first time).I think it may be because of slow response from facebook server.(may be becuase of traffic...lots of changes are required with in that single hit....)
GMAT score is equally counted as your GPA and 78 clicks can change you life.

Legendary Member
Followed by:6 members
GMAT Score:760

by harsh.champ » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:15 am
Hi David,

On the home page I found a problem with this link :-https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2010/10/ ... er-18-2010

I tried submitting my comment but even on clicking the "SUBMIT" button no response was registered and the new page loaded without my comment.
I tried submitting many times but in vain.

Can you look into the matter?
It takes time and effort to explain, so if my comment helped you please press Thanks button :)

Just because something is hard doesn't mean you shouldn't try,it means you should just try harder.

"Keep Walking" - Johnny Walker :P

Site Admin

by DavidP » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:14 am
Hi Mhasan,

Sorry. But I really can't help you beyond the advice I gave you earlier. I think that the problem is that Facebook is likely prioritizing the level of service it provides to other websites. So if you're Zynga, which makes super popular FB games and pays FB hundreds of millions of dollars, then FB makes sure that the "share" windows are really fast. But if you're a smaller site that doesn't pay FB money, then they probably don't give as much reliable service for now.

FYI, I do think that you're experiencing connection problems between FB and 3rd party websites. The very first picture that you included shows that your browser couldn't access the FB page needed to initiate the "share" window.

dp

mhasan wrote:Hi David,

I continue to have problems with sharing anything on my Facebook account. I have tried 3 different browsers and all 3 have failed to share on Facebook from this site. I tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox, which were all used on an imac. The small sharing window appears and then hangs. This has been happening for 3 days now and I have lost a lot of points because of this.

I am pulling my hair out of my head to figure out how to correct this. Is there something I can do in Facebook to correct the problem. Why is it that all 3 browsers are having the sharing problem?

At least, Safari & Firefox allow me to log in through Facebook. But Chrome does not even let me do that. I am attaching screen shots of all three to show you the issue. Could you please please give me a solution as I want to win that Grand Prize and am seeing all the points pass away. David I would really appreciate your help on addressing this issue for me.

regards
Mhasan

Site Admin

by DavidP » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:15 am
Hi Shashank,

I'll look into that bug. I think that you're right. There's a different div for the video that must be causing the problem.

dp
shashank.ism wrote:Image

Site Admin

by DavidP » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:17 am
Hi Russty,

Glad that your issues is fixed. Sorry about all the issues that you've been experiencing. This is the first time that we're doing something like this. And so we're all learning in real time. Also, I'm personally sort of annoyed at FB because I think that their servers are having problems. But then again, it's hard to get too mad at FB since we are using the FB Connect APIs for free and this game wouldn't even be possible w/out FB Connect.

David
russty wrote:Hi David,
Thanks

by mhasan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:50 am
DavidP wrote:Hi Mhasan,

Sorry. But I really can't help you beyond the advice I gave you earlier. I think that the problem is that Facebook is likely prioritizing the level of service it provides to other websites. So if you're Zynga, which makes super popular FB games and pays FB hundreds of millions of dollars, then FB makes sure that the "share" windows are really fast. But if you're a smaller site that doesn't pay FB money, then they probably don't give as much reliable service for now.

FYI, I do think that you're experiencing connection problems between FB and 3rd party websites. The very first picture that you included shows that your browser couldn't access the FB page needed to initiate the "share" window.

dp

Hi David, How can I solve the connection problems between FB and 3rd party websites. I am having browser problems as they can't access the FB page needed to initiate the share window. I have reinstalled Safari but the problem does not go away.

What other things would you suggest to try. I am attaching a screenshot that shows "run script 'void;O'" at the bottom status bar when cursor is on Login with Facebook.

Also another problem happening with Chrome browser right now is when I click on "Login with Facebook" in these browsers, the page leads to Beat The GMAT forum page. This is happens in Chrome and not Safari. I have tried with Firefox which does let me login in with FB but the Share problems persists there as well.

Please help as I can't play!!

Mhasan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.